Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Need to surrender passport to hotel/guesthouse?

• cdpark

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2008

I'll be traveling to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. Is it mandatory to leave your passport with hotel management in any of these countries? That seems odd to me, but I've read a few posts that seem to suggest this is the case.

#1 Posted: 24/2/2008 - 15:08

• Advertisement

• theewadaa

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2007

In Thailand some hotels ask for it for their own safety (in case You would take towels or something). You have to idetify Yourself with Your passport when You fill in the check-in form, but You don't need to give Your passport to the hotel staff.

#2 Posted: 24/2/2008 - 19:04

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

It used to be much more common than it is now for hotel staff in places like Thailand to collect your passport when you checked in. Back in the mid-80's, I would typically be asked to surrender my passport. On my most recent trip, however, while I had to show my passport at check in most of the time, nobody asked to hold it at all.

The staff always told me that this was because they had to register foreign guests with the local police. Anymore most hotels that even bother with this formality just make a photo copy of your passport.

You'll also typically need your passport to cash a traveller's check and in most cases to get a cash advance on a credit or debit card.

One other place that often asks to keep your passport is the motor scooter rental. Occasionally I've been able to leave a photocopy instead, but not always, so don't be alarmed if you go to rent a scooter and they expect to keep your passport as collateral. Regards.

#3 Posted: 25/2/2008 - 00:57

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

It is illegal to travel around Thailand without ID...in the case of foreigners this is your passport....a photocopy photo page and visa) is all that the hotel should need

#4 Posted: 25/2/2008 - 17:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.