Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Analysis Paralysis - advice on an island

• trudat

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2008

Help! My husband and I planning a trip to Thailand in late may for 10 days to 2 weeks - a few days in Bangkok, the rest in the islands. For the life of me, I can't seem to settle on an island. We want to go somewhere not too touristy, but maybe with a little town or village. We were originally thinking of Koh Mook (Sivalai), but it seems like there isn't much on the island and I'm afraid that the rougher seas would prevent us from going on day trips to other islands. I also wonder if we should a least see Koh Phi Phi and Krabi area. Also, we want to snorkel, and I will be 5 mo. pregnant.

In question form...
    1. Should we go to Krabi and Koh Phi Phi for a few days and then go to another less touristy island? Is that even possible in the low season since many ferries don't operate?

2. Is Koh Mook a good or bad choice? Any other island suggestions? Other thoughts?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. This is our last pre-baby trip so we want it to be great!! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 27/2/2008 - 04:38

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi trudat,

Congratulations on the upcoming bubster :-)

Ko Mook has a bit to do and it's a great spot to use as a base for visiting other islands, but your prime concern should be the weather, as the Andaman Coast (including Ko Phi Phi and Krabi) gets quite a bit of rain in May. The driest islands will be the gulf islands (Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao) and Ko Samet up closer to Bangkok.

If you're not too fussed about the weather, then I'd stick with Ko Mook as you can do trips from there out to other islands, including the spectacular Ko Rok twin islands (all weather permitting).

For more weather info, check our Thai weather map here and there's more weather info here.

#2 Posted: 27/2/2008 - 08:39

• marineboy

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2007

Ko Ngai and Ko Kradan are just fabulous when it comes to islands/beaches!! If you get bored easy maybe you need one of the over developed islands like Phi Phi. You will find peace on a beautiful island in Trang province...no tuk-tuk, no sound systems, no trafic and sometimes no village. Which unfortunately means lots of rubbish on the sides of every road, which is ok in Thailand?
    I stayed on Koh Kradan..which is most beautiful, met great people from all over the world and just chilled out, snorkelling on a nice reef. Stayed with Wally (American) at Paradise Lost, great food cooked by his wife. http://www.kokradan.com Don't email

#3 Posted: 1/3/2008 - 03:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.