Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

quiet beach somewhere?

• fishtails04

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2008

can anyone recommend a quiet beach /island in thailand, not dominated by kids on drinking holidays (but with cold beer available!) and not subject to booming music... looking for sun, seas and sand and some real quiet... the more accessible from bangkok the better, but i will travel far for the right beach!
    thanks
    fishtails

#1 Posted: 4/3/2008 - 09:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Bang Saphan Yai would be my off-the-top of my head recommendation. Search the forum for some past discussions about it -- and yes, they do have cold beer!

#2 Posted: 4/3/2008 - 20:07

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Exactly what i would recommend! Ban saphan OR Ban Krut. These to places are undiscovered gems! Should be perfect for chilling out with out the ravers ;)

#3 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 09:11

• allen_moret-
    sky

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

We have just left a most relaxing island in Southern Thailand. Our going there was actually quite by chance. I picked out a spot on the map where Thaland and Burma meet at the Northern tip of the Andaman Sea. I wanted to see what the seaside was like in that area and so we headed for Ranong on the West Coast of Thailand.

When we got to Ranong we were very surprised at the numbers of foreigners. We found that Ranong was a jumping off point for a couple of popular islands. So after spending a night in the town and speaking with some of the travelers who had been to the islands we went to the pier and there met an Italian man, one of the proprietors of one of the extablishments on the beach. After talking with him we decided to go to Koh Chang, now this is Little Koh Chang and not to be confused with the other 2 Koh Chang's. What a beautiful and most relaxing spot.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008
    Lost a day here somehow. Just not so much to write about daily while here on the beach at Koh Chang. Days are generally the same. We are up early and we have coffee or tea and watch the seaside come to life. We get the sunset on this side of the island so the day begins slowly and the sun doesn’t hit the beach full force till later in the morning. I like to go for a morning swim of some distance while Richel putters on the seaside with the 5 year old daughter of the people who run our place. The couple who run the place are German, but have lived outside the country for many years. The wife teaches Yoga every day and the husband teaches Tai Chi every day. They also rent out the 3 cottages that they command with their own simple house. The are leasing the place so that gives you some idea of what is possible at a place lilke this. Most of the other places along the beach are the same. All the cottages are build back from the beach in the woods, just peeking out at the sea and leaving the beach full and uncluttered. There are perhaps a dozen places to stay, each one usually has a restaurant where one can order virtually any kind of Thai or Western food and at least 2 places bake bread. I think the most cottages at any one place is perhaps 7. The cottages are all small, one bedroom places from a low of 150 baht($5) to a high of perhaps 600 Baht with the difference being a bathroom in the cottage. Electricity is only from 6 PM to 11 PM so unless a place has their own generator there isn’t much by way of utilities. Ice is brought in daily as are the tourists. Many people we met had come there and the next year returned for a longer stay. The place is so relaxing. No lout music. Marijuana is readily available, but not so noticeable. Once in a while I could smell it as people would smoke openly at the restaurants. It was nice meeting people from different countries, many my age, at these places. I think some of my good feelings about the place comes from the mix of people there. A very mellow crowd, an older then the younger backpacker crowd. Where we stayed there was no restaurant so we had to go to different places and eat. The food was pretty good, but the best part of the place is how relaxing and easy going the place is.
    We were very impressed with Koh Chang. So much so that we are working out plans to do the same in Dinagat if possible.

#4 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 10:04

• yosawee

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2010

I'd recommend you to go travel along the eastern coast of thailand.
    Have you ever heard about Rayong, Chantaburi and Trad. They're a province along the eastern coast of thailand.
    At Rayong, I'd recommend you to Samet Island. There are many beach where you can choose your own interested accommodations.
    At Chantaburi, I'd recommend you to go to Chaolao beach where you can enjoy the quiet beach, white sand and sunshine. There are many good place to stay for a long period of time. One of the newest and outstanding there is Chivaree Hotel and Resort. www.chivareehotelandresort.com
    At Trad, I'd recommend you to go to the Chang Island. the biggest island on the eastern coast.(and the second after phuket island)
    In case you don't know these eastern province of thailand are the most famous area for growing tropical fruits such as durian(king of fruits), mongosteen(queen of fruits) ,rambutants and much more.

#5 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 10:36

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

I'm currently in Bang Saphan Yai and i can only confirm what's been said earlier. This is a very good place to relax. Just a long quiet beach (right now i can see one person along the 1 km. stretch of beach in view from my coffee table), a few small restaurants, some decent budget accommodation, low prices, and plenty of cold beer. No raves anywhere, but watch out so you don't end up staying too close to the popular Thai karaoke places near Coral hotel, these tend to get pretty noisy. If you rent a motorbike there is plenty to explore in the area. Or you can go for a day trip to koh Thalu, haven't done it myself yet but the snorkeling is supposed to be superb.

Happy trails..

#6 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 12:05

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Wow, this is a seriously good thread - like the sound of Ban Saphin Yai, gonna try to make it this June.

FISHTAIL - another location arguably closer to Bangkok is Ko Samet. A real nice island with some very relaxed beaches.
    I reckon the most laid back beach is isolated Ao Nuan with only one place to stay - although I thought the prices were a bit over the top when I called by last month. My favourite is Ao Pudsa/Putsa/Tubtim, the first quiet beach past the more social ones in the north of the east coast.
    Another real good one is Ao Thian/Ao Lung Dam bay further south - a long stretch of small patches of sand separated by low rocky areas with mainly backpacker/flashpacker accommodation.

I'm also a Little Ko Chang (near Ranong) fan - but this island usually does tend to be real wet from a few weeks time into early November.

#7 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 15:24

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

To clarify that terrible last line - tends to be real wet from mid/late May into November.

#8 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 17:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Nice and quiet beach accommodation? ... By Sampan on 22 Dec 2011 0 1277 22 Dec 2011
Quiet & clean beach near Bangkok ... By rskeisuke on 11 May 2011 7 5223 12 May 2011
Good quiet beach near Railay or Phuket?? ... By LauraJ87 on 3 Jul 2012 16 3817 15 Jul 2012
where is a beautiful and quiet beach in thailand? also we can dive? ... By meda on 24 Mar 2009 2 2791 30 Mar 2009
Quiet beach for 1 week trip in June ... By worldchaski on 10 May 2009 10 5579 7 May 2010
Looking for quiet accom on the beach in South Vietnam! ... By jmac on 15 Jul 2009 2 2641 15 Jul 2009
Quiet beach on Kho Phangan's sunset side ... By thaibeachlovers on 12 Jun 2006 2 2172 13 Jun 2006