Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Can I see it all in 2 weeks?

• lposten

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2008

Hi all:

I'm new to the blog thing and it seems to be so helpful. My boyfriend and I are taking a trip in June-July to SE Asia and we wanted to spend 2 weeks total seeing Thailand and Cambodia. Budget matters so we were planning on taking the bus/taxi route to Siep Riep which takes about a day to get there and another day to get back. I would like to spend 2-3 days in Siem Riep. I would also like to see Northern & Southern Thailand. Is this too much for too short a time? I dont mind taking overnight trains and a flight or two I want to see as much as I can.

My biggest concern right now is how to get from Siem Riep to Northern or Southern Thailand without wasting too much time and spending too much money.

If anybody has any advice for me I would be much appreciative.

Thanks!

Lauren

#1 Posted: 5/3/2008 - 02:48

• Advertisement

• JoHe59

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2006

I think you have to be in a real rush to want to visit ànd Siem Reap ànd southern Thailand ànd northern Thailand in 2 weeks. Just pick out something and relax. Keep in mind that the weather conditions in June/July are not so good (a lot of rainfall). So the road from Poipet to Siem Reap might be in a bad condition. Rumour has it that the government keeps this road like this, so people would take the plane from Bangkok Airways...
    I don't understand why you say you don't mind taking a flight or two and on the other hand "budget matters". Just think it over and don't jump into it unprepared!

#2 Posted: 6/3/2008 - 20:00

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

yes, that is a lot of ground to cover in two weeks, but not impossible. Just bear in mind that the travel alone is likely to eat up a good deal of your time and energy, and you will not be able to soak up any one spot for long. Flying in and out of Siem Reap will save a bit of precious time and energy, but of course will be considerably more expensive than doing it overland.

Regarding the road conditions from Poipet to Siem Reap, apparently they are in the process of paving the road, and many of the unpaved sections are in the best nick they have been in years. Recent reports are that the whole trip, Bangkok>Siem Reap, can be done in 7 or 8 hrs by taxi, including time necessary to cross the border. Good up to date info on the overland trip:
    www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr.htm.

If I only had two weeks, I would prolly spend all of it in Cambodia.

#3 Posted: 6/3/2008 - 22:10

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

slow down, it will be better...you do need three days in siem reap, unless you are not interested in angkor wat... there is a bus that goes from siem reap to bangkok. just check out some travel agencies in siem reap, they have tons of offers...

and yes the road at least halfway there sucks! it's not fun at all...

see less, enjoy more. you will go home and you will start planning your next trip to sea...

#4 Posted: 7/3/2008 - 06:30

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I went to England and saw it all in a day - right?

#5 Posted: 7/3/2008 - 13:25

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

The short answer is NO! You can not see it all in 2 weeks. There really is soo much to see and alot of the good stuff isnt so obvious like some of the big temples featured in travel guides.

My advise would be to go to a couple of places like siem reap and then chaing mai. Or, go to the south but it depends what you like. Obviously include a few days in Bangkok too.

:)

#6 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 08:53

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

The short answer is NO! You can not see it all in 2 weeks. There really is soo much to see and alot of the good stuff isnt so obvious like some of the big temples featured in travel guides.

My advise would be to go to a couple of places like siem reap and then chaing mai. Or, go to the south but it depends what you like. Obviously include a few days in Bangkok too.

#7 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 08:54

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

#8 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 08:54

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

#9 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 08:54

• myrhmaid

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2007

I would advise choosing three or four places and getting to know them a bit. Maybe go from Bangkok to Koh Chang island for a bit of sun, and then take a bus into Siem Reap (takes all day), wandering around the temples for a few days, catching a flight back to Bangkok and into Chiang Mai (at least two days), and then heading up to Pai by bus or mini-van. Good luck and have fun!

: )

#10 Posted: 2/4/2008 - 14:14

• Advertisement

• lposten

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2008

Thanks all for your great advice. I've taken it all into consideration. I have moved around some of my earlier plans for the trip and I will now be seeing Thailand and Cambodia within 2 weeks and 4 days. I definitely think this is doable but if we start to feel stressed by the traveling, none of our plans are set in stone so we'll just chill out.

Thanks again to you all experianced travelers who are willing to help out an amateur!

#11 Posted: 2/4/2008 - 20:54

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Sounds like a plan. Have fun!

#12 Posted: 2/4/2008 - 23:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.