Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Please help with our Thailand planning

• mark1980

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2008

Hi,
    Please can you offer us some advice. We are travelling Thailand backpacking and intend to take the following itinery but as its peak season we want to know what we should think about booking ahead and whether we can just turn up at some places and get cheap/basic accommodation, we plan to take the following route (this year);
    Chang Mai - 5-10 Dec
    (Fly back to Bangkok)
    Bangkok - 11-15 Dec
    (Fly to Krabi)
    Tonsai - 16-20 Dec
    Phuket - 21-22 Dec
    Phi Phi - 23-27 Dec
    Lanta - 28-29 Dec
    Lipe - 30 Dec - 3 Jan
    Langkawi - 4-7 Jan

Would really appreciate the advise as I am going crazy trying to plan this.

#1 Posted: 25/3/2008 - 21:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Two places stand out -- Phi Phi and Lipe.

For the latter reliable reservations can be tricky to come by, but if you're planning on showing up there on 30 December without a reservation, I'd almost guarantee you'll be sleeping on the beach... it's not too bad - at least the sand is soft ;-)

For Phi Phi, you'll eventually find a room, but unless you're very lucky I'd expect a poor quality, overpriced shack. There are some moderately-priced places on Phi Phi that are reliable with reservations: Phi Phi Relax Bis one which we highly recommend.

For the other spots, a reservation isn't so essential, unless you're set on a particular guesthouse/hotel.

A more general pointer, the southern section of your trip is very rushed. You start off on the right foot - five days in Bangkok, five in Chiang Mai, but going to Phuket and Lanta for two days a piece is a waste of time in my opinion -- I'd suggest skipping Lanta and getting to Lipe earlier (thus increasing your chance of a bed) and I wouldn't bother with Phuket at all, instead spend the extra days on Tonsai.

Hope that helps - more questions, ask away.

#2 Posted: 26/3/2008 - 14:06

• mark1980

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2008

Great reply, thanks.

Had another rethink and may do the following;
    Chang Mai - 5-10 Dec
    Bangkok - 11-15 Dec
    Lipe - 16-21 Dec
    Lanta - 22-27 Dec
    Tonsai - 28Dec-3Jan
    Phuket - 4-7 Jan

(Then flying from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur)

Is Phi Phi that much better than Lanta, will we be missing out if we dont go? If its going to be expensive its going to ruin our budget as we have a lot more travelling to do so maybe we should give it a miss, what do you think? Thanks again

#3 Posted: 26/3/2008 - 17:30

• Indy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2008
    Location Thailand

wow what a good plan for your trip, im getting jealous you now, really wanna go down to the south too. I never been to koh Lipe but i heard about thai people talk about resort they used to stay there and seem impress them is http://www.mountainresortkohlipe.com/

other island u figure out ok:)

place to stay in bkk, i used to stay at PS guesthouse i like there, big room and clean with air con, and TV and private toilet. this guesthouse no website only email and number is+66 2 2552309 PSguesthouse@hotmail.com other place is http://www.ktguesthouse.com/ and other one http://www.suk11.com :) hope u like it.

#4 Posted: 4/4/2008 - 14:03

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I wouldn't say Phi Phi is better, but it is worth checking. I'd cut a day off 3 of the other southern places to fit in Phi Phi. I take it you plan to do Lipe-Lanta via Tigerline ferry or the speedboat service?

#5 Posted: 4/4/2008 - 18:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.