Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How do I get from the airport in Bangkok to the Bus Station?

• LizzieR

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008

Hi, I am hoping to visit Thailand in Jan 2009 so planning early! I need to travel from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi but do not want to stay overnight in Bangkok. I have been told I can bet a bus from the Southern Bus Terminal to Kanchanaburi but how easy is it to get to the Bus Terminal?
    Help!!

#1 Posted: 26/3/2008 - 20:47

• Advertisement

• natwest

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2008
    Location China

If you have more than two travelling, then it is better just to hail a taxi from the airport, since the fare is charged according to meter and I assume you arrive in Thailand at night time (since you say dont want to stay in Bangkok overnight) the public transport options kinda getting complex.

Last time I travel from northern Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi, only cost me 2XXB + toll (yes, passenger pays) What a bargain! If you take the airport bus from C. Bangkok, it costs 150B per head, and there were 3 of us, so u can see the savings!

Just remember to change enough money in the Airport to get you through to Kanchanaburi. Banks are everywhere in Thailand, but long working hours Bureau de Change is only found in major tourist area.

#2 Posted: 26/3/2008 - 22:46

• LizzieR

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008

Hi I should have said my plane should arrive in Bangkok 14:20 - my final destination is Sangkhlaburi

#3 Posted: 26/3/2008 - 22:50

• PhanatNikhom

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008

It's a bit of a trek to the Southern Bus Terminal - it's the oppposite side of Bangkok from the airport - but a taxi is definitely your best option if you've got luggage with you and you would rather not take a series of sky train plus long bus journeys across the city. I imagine it'll cost around 300 baht or a little more when you add expressway charges (another 50-100 baht). The other, nicer, way to get to Kanchanaburi is by train, but you'll be too late in the day to get the last one, which leaves around 1pm. You can get a bus direct to Sangkhlaburi from Bangkok if you don't want to stop in Kanchanaburi.

#4 Posted: 27/3/2008 - 00:11

• LizzieR

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008

hi, thank you for this.........would I be able to get a bus direct to Sangkhlaburi at that time in the afternoon? Although I think a stop over at Kanchanaburi sounds good :)

#5 Posted: 27/3/2008 - 00:37

• mick110971

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Hi Lizzie.

You have chosen a nice place in Sangkhlaburi i was there last year and it was one of my favourite places i visited on that trip. Im not sure about the direct buses but we had to change buses a couple of times and ended up travelling on a school bus which was fun.I dont think there would be a direct bus at that time of day but i could be wrong.

Cheers Mick

#6 Posted: 28/3/2008 - 06:05

• LizzieR

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008

Thanks Mick.

#7 Posted: 28/3/2008 - 14:40

• Indy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2008
    Location Thailand

I was there few months ago it was nice place to visit.

I would like to recommend you to stay this guesthouse
    http://www.pguesthouseresort.com/accomodation.htm
    rate price 200baht for sharing toilet and shower and no air con only fan, 900baht for having toilet with aircon. if u wanna stay there should make reservation because there are not much room to stay.

I stayed there 2 night and also took elephant ride and rafting there, was fun only 900baht for 1 person with include place to stay(rate 200baht)

enjoy ur trip:)

#8 Posted: 3/4/2008 - 15:55

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I hope you are not planning on blowing Bangkok off! Bangkok is worth a visit.

It would make your planning a lot less complicated to simply spend a night in Bangkok and even spending your last night in Bangkok too! This way you would be able to rest up from your trip, see the city a little, make cheaper arrangements for a ride to Kachanaburi.

There is a small bus station right at the airport. You have to take a free shuttle to get to it. There are buses that go into town of course, but there are also buses that go to other cities. (I am not sure if there is a bus direct to Kachanaburi but it's worth a check. The price of a bus ride into Bangkok is 35 baht, the bus is a much longer ride than the taxi of course.

If you want to take a taxi to the bus station get the taxi at the sign up desk that is located outside the arrivals hall, near the curb. There are several sign up desks. AVOID THE TOUTS IN THE ARRIVALS HALL SELLING RIDES! The taxi sign up clerk will write down where you want to go and tell the driver. You tell the clerk to tell the driver meter only! You will be responsible for a 50 baht surcharge, any tolls that the taxi passes through (probably 2 for a total of 65 baht) and whatever the meter charge comes to. All paid at the hotel or bus station when the taxi lets you off. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SMALL BILLS FOR PAYING THE TAXI DRIVER IF YOU WANT ANY CHANGE BACK!

Good luck.

#9 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 11:27

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

You won't get a direct bus at that time, the direct buses leave from Mor Chit, not the Southern Bus Terminal.

Your best bet is to head to either bus terminal and stay in Kanchanaburi over night then travel on from there. Either bus terminal in Bangkok is easy, just hop in a taxi. I would recommend Mor Chit as it is closer, but you will be snarled up in traffic for either destination at the time you will be traveling.

Have a good trip.

#10 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 13:42

• Advertisement

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

You won't get a direct bus at that time, the direct buses leave from Mor Chit, not the Southern Bus Terminal.

Your best bet is to head to either bus terminal and stay in Kanchanaburi over night then travel on from there. Either bus terminal in Bangkok is easy, just hop in a taxi. I would recommend Mor Chit as it is closer, but you will be snarled up in traffic for either destination at the time you will be traveling.

Have a good trip.

#11 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 13:55

• LizzieR

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008

Hi all, really helpful advice - thank you.

I will go from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and stay 2 nights to do some sightseeing there before travelling to S'buri but on the way back I have decided to travel to Bangkok and stay one night there before leaving which will give me a day and a night to explore Bangkok too.

Any recommendations for a good place to stay?

#12 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 14:53

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

^thats really difficult to answer, Bangkok has every type of accommodation available. Just walk around KSR for a bit and you will find any standard you like. I stay in flea pits so you don't want my recommendation.

#13 Posted: 7/4/2008 - 09:03

• emielvl

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2007

We've done the same trip last July and took the free shuttle bus to the transport center (5 minutes) at the airport. From the transport centre we took public bus 556 to the southern bus terminal (1,5 hours only 30 baht). From the southern bus terminal we took a bus to kanchanaburi (2,5 hours, 80 baht.
    We found it very doable!

#14 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 20:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
bangkok airport to bus station connection time ... By charterboy22 on 3 Feb 2007 5 2386 7 Feb 2007
Hualumpong train station Vs. Bangkok Airport for storage? ... By translasian on 21 Aug 2006 0 2416 21 Aug 2006
How to go fro Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong train station ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 11 31209 10 Jul 2014