Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Electrical socket (plug type)

  • relf

    Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2008
    Posts: 8

    I tried a quick search and couldnt come up with an answer...what type of electrical sockets are used in thailand? (bringing my laptop)

    And is this type also found in Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam?


    #1 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 04:44

  • Advertisement

  • relf

    Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2008
    Posts: 8

    Just to clarify what I read on the travelfish website:

    "Thailand's voltage is 220-240AC, 50 Hertz. The plugs in Thailand are not standardised -- there are at least three different types, some two pin, some three, so bring a universal adapter."

    What exactly is the two pin (Australia, North america, or europe), and what is the three pin?


    #2 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 04:46

  • Jon_Mak_Mak

    Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 464
    Total reviews: 5

    im sure its a 2 pin in most places. but you can buy an adaptor in any major city when you get there.

    #3 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 05:39

  • goo_stewart

    Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007
    Posts: 69

    2 pins is the most common, but I have seen 3 pin (not British 3 pin) around. I think the 2 pin is the same as European 2 pin.

    #4 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 13:57

  • jplumlee

    Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2008
    Location United States
    Posts: 3

    2 Pin is ungrounded, 3 Pin is grounded and may be found in more modern structures. You're on your own using 2 Pin. I've luged a laptop around on two trips for a total of ten months with no problems. If it's rainy season and an electrical storm is nearby I would unplug till the storm is over! Go to a hardware store, they are usally all in the same area, or Tesco and look for an extension cord. They are very cheap. They are plastic, round, about six inches across, two inches thick and have about six feet of cord, winds into the unit. Makes it easy to use your machine anywhere in your room or at the outside table. Look on the power block on your cord. It should say 110/240 volts, which means the power adapter automatically decides which power to use. Sawassdee

    #5 Posted: 12/4/2008 - 06:09

  • evrenpredat-

    Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2015
    Posts: 1

    http://www.travellerplugs.com web site shows all types of plugs used in your country and destination countries from all over the world. You can find information

    #6 Posted: 25/1/2015 - 14:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee