Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Electrical socket (plug type)

Posted by relf on 6/4/2008 at 04:44

I tried a quick search and couldnt come up with an answer...what type of electrical sockets are used in thailand? (bringing my laptop)

And is this type also found in Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam?

Thanks!

#1 relf has been a member since 27/3/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by relf on 6/4/2008 at 04:46

Just to clarify what I read on the travelfish website:

"Thailand's voltage is 220-240AC, 50 Hertz. The plugs in Thailand are not standardised -- there are at least three different types, some two pin, some three, so bring a universal adapter."

What exactly is the two pin (Australia, North america, or europe), and what is the three pin?

Thanks

#2 relf has been a member since 27/3/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 6/4/2008 at 05:39

im sure its a 2 pin in most places. but you can buy an adaptor in any major city when you get there.

#3 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by goo_stewart on 6/4/2008 at 13:57

2 pins is the most common, but I have seen 3 pin (not British 3 pin) around. I think the 2 pin is the same as European 2 pin.

#4 goo_stewart has been a member since 10/10/2007. Posts: 69
 Website 

Posted by jplumlee on 12/4/2008 at 06:09

2 Pin is ungrounded, 3 Pin is grounded and may be found in more modern structures. You're on your own using 2 Pin. I've luged a laptop around on two trips for a total of ten months with no problems. If it's rainy season and an electrical storm is nearby I would unplug till the storm is over! Go to a hardware store, they are usally all in the same area, or Tesco and look for an extension cord. They are very cheap. They are plastic, round, about six inches across, two inches thick and have about six feet of cord, winds into the unit. Makes it easy to use your machine anywhere in your room or at the outside table. Look on the power block on your cord. It should say 110/240 volts, which means the power adapter automatically decides which power to use. Sawassdee
JP

#5 jplumlee has been a member since 3/3/2008. Location: United States. Posts: 3

Posted by evrenpredator on 25/1/2015 at 14:01

http://www.travellerplugs.com web site shows all types of plugs used in your country and destination countries from all over the world. You can find information

#6 evrenpredator has been a member since 25/1/2015. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.