Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help / advice needed please guys!

• russ0001

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2008

Hi, I am a student looking to travel to thaiand in June for around 20 days. I have never done any real travelling before so this will be a first for me. I have saved around £250 to spend during my travels. I am planning on arriving in bankok, staying here for a few days then moving on.. I will probably visit 4/5 diferent places including some of the Islands. I would like to know if people think that £250 is a reasonable sum for such a holiday. I know this is somewhat vague but i dont know much of the prices i will be looking at for accomodation, food and trains. Does anyone have any advice for me? thanks alot

#1 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 21:16

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi Russ, Personally I would be taking more than £250. What if you had an emergency?!! At least take a credit card or somthing as a backup. Thailand CAN be very. But as you say, its your first time travelling there so you will be spending more than if you were familier with the place.

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 22:58

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

In my last couple of recent trips I averaged $us35 a day on everything once off the aircraft. I travel single and move on often which increases spending, stay budget but not dumps, ditto food, drink a fair amount of booze but don't party hard, do a moderate amount of extras like snorkelling trips.

#3 Posted: 7/4/2008 - 06:27

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

At current rates £250 for 20 days would mean a bit under 800 baht a day. Costs vary a lot within Thailand depending on the place, but in general a budget like that is completely feasible when staying in one place and not spending much money on anything special. But that's probably not what you want to do for your entire holiday. So, I'd say try and save at least another 50 or so for travelling inside the country and various expenses, and you'll be alright. But as Jon says, definitely have some sort of back-up for emergencies.

As you can see from this site, cheap accommodation will set you back around 100-300 baht / person. Food will be around 30-100 baht / meal, depending where you eat.

#4 Posted: 8/4/2008 - 16:16

• russ0001

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2008

Thanks alot, and I am of course trying to save as much as possible!

#5 Posted: 10/4/2008 - 20:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.