Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

When to visit SE Asia

• Sair83

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2008

Hi all!

I'm currently planning a RTW trip, to include SE Asia.
    Due to restrictions on my ticket, it looks like I will have to arrive in Thailand (Bangkok) around 22nd September. I want to travel up through northern Thailand, round to Vietnam, through Cambodia and Laos, back round to Bangkok and then down to Singapore for 8th December (11 weeks).

However, I see that Sept/Oct is monsoon season in Thailand, so as a lone backpacker i am slightly worried. Can anybody give me some advice on whether travel at this time is ok or a definate no-no.
    Any advice on preferable routes would be useful (e.g. should I fly to Hanoi and travel round, saving Thailand to November where the weather won't be so bad?)

Please help!

#1 Posted: 8/4/2008 - 01:43

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Even though you will be in Thailand and other countries during part of the Rainy Season there is still plenty of sunshine to keep you happy! Usually the rain only falls for an hour or two and then the sun comes out again. Often the rain falls during the night anyway.

There may be some localized flooding until the drains can handle the downpour. Avoid walking bare foot through flooded areas if you have cuts and scratches on your feet, often the water has sewage and other disgusting stuff mixed with it, you want to avoid any infections!

If you get caught in the rain, stop in for something to eat in a restaurant or bar. Rain is a good reason to go in a mall and look around or take in a movie. In Laos the rain was so heavy that the streets would flood for a while - they had many tall sidewalks in the tourist areas. It was kind of relaxing having a Laobeer while watching the flooding. An hour or so later it was nice and sunny again! During the rainy season the water can be a little more choppy for boat travel.

Depending on the country you are from you may be able to get a free 30 day entry stamp in your passport at the airport. (US, UK, Canada, Germany and most European countries qualify.)

You could start your trip in Thailand, use up 29 days (if you qualify) and then go to another country. When you return to Thailand you will get another free 30 days. You will need visas that you have to pay for the Communist countries like Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos.

Good luck.

One advantage of being in Thailand at this time is that many of the hotels will still have low season pricing. But, closer to December the price goes up, especially in the expensive hotels.

#2 Posted: 8/4/2008 - 09:16

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

While Cambodia is currently controlled by the CPP, it's not really fair to call it a "Communist country" in the vein of Laos and Vietnam. Though corruption etc. may be as wide spread as in those countries, Cambodia is still a representative democratic monarchy.

In any case, I went around Thailand, Cambodia and Laos last year Oct-Dec, and rain was really only an annoyance in Southern Laos, where it rained for most of the day for about 3-4 days. Otherwise it was mainly just showers or 1-2 hours of rain per day, and even less in late November and early December. And as Sirhal points out, travelling outside the main season definitely has its benefits!

#3 Posted: 8/4/2008 - 16:04

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I reckon November is a great time to travel Thailand - the wet season is ending/has ended (except for the southeren Gulf - Samui and neighbours) but the crowds of high season are absent.
    Having said that, I agree with the above that wet season is usually no reason not to travel and that normally there is plenty of fine patches - sometimes of hours, sometimes of days.
    All my wet season trips to Thailand have been enjoyable.

#4 Posted: 8/4/2008 - 19:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Relevant weather sections on Travelfish:

Cambodia
    Laos
    Thailand
    Vietnam

#5 Posted: 9/4/2008 - 06:06

• Sair83

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2008

Thanks all... I booked and paid for my ticket today, which means come 29th September I'll be in Thailand, ready to begin my travels there!!

Now... anybody wish to join me? LOL :-)

#6 Posted: 11/4/2008 - 04:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.