Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

need help w booking accomo on ko samet, ao thian

• friedpiggy

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2008

i tried calling the numbers on this website for candle light resort but apparently the number belongs to another resort? i also tried the one for ban keang talea, but the persons who picked up the phone for both numbers didn't speak English. any suggestions what else i can do?

#1 Posted: 10/4/2008 - 17:21

• Advertisement

• friedpiggy

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2008

is it a good idea to just walk in without booking?

#2 Posted: 10/4/2008 - 18:55

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

My experience in Feb this year, still definitely high season, was that walk-in was possible just about every beach. Hell, even the small but very popular Ao Phai up in the center of the action had vacancies.
    I was impressed with Apache on Ao Thian and they certainly had more than a few vacant bungalows. Note that I think some travel guides place Apache on a separate beach but it is on what I would call southern Thian. Probably about 500m to Candelight, maybe less. Candelight is a bigger place so your chances of walk-in are pretty good.
    A caveat - it is not such a good idea to walk-in on a Friday or Saturday or just before-during public holidays - Samet is real popular with the Thai weekend set from Bangkok and Rayong.
    I have a fair bit of info on Samet and some pics on this page http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/2008/02/ko-samet.html

#3 Posted: 11/4/2008 - 06:07

• friedpiggy

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2008

thanks tezza for the useful info. lucky for me i'll be arriving on a thu, so used be good to grab a place before the crowd comes in! yeah! i will go check out Apache. yup! i have read ur site and it's cool, good info. =) thanks again! will let u know how it went after my trip in early may!

#4 Posted: 11/4/2008 - 09:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi friedpiggy,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this. I checked with the researcher concerned and the correct telephone number for Candle Light is (087) 149 6139. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As tezza says, reservations probably not essential anyways.

tezza, we removed Apache from the listings on this update -- thought it was looking very mediocre...even though they have the tree-house thingy. When were you last there?

Have fun friedpiggy!

#5 Posted: 14/4/2008 - 17:09

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Me bad, somtam - I should have said I liked the LOOK of Apache. I was assuming friedpiggy would read the Samet link I gave and see I stayed on Tubtim and only visited Ao Thian. I spent some time drinking beer on the seating-platform outriggers on Apache's pier while checking these gorgeous Thai bikini babes who I gradually worked out were actually ladyboys (okay, I'm a bit slow) and I liked the look of Apache's beachfront trad bungalows which were pretty reasonably priced when I asked.
    For the record, I reckon Candle Light looked the better place (although more expensive). But it sure has changed from the fantastically eclectic bunch of huts there on my first visit last century.

#6 Posted: 14/4/2008 - 18:45

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry I'm new here but I'm a bit confused by tezza's intervention on this thread. He didn't answer the OP's question at all regarding a tel number for Candlelight Resort but he did warmly recommend a place called Apache bungalows that Somtam says is crap.

What, apart from the presence of bikini-clad katoeys, particularly impressed you about the Apache tezza? Did you at least have a look inside the bungalows? Could you be a bit more specific about how much the cost as you say you inquired about the price. How much more would it cost to stay at the Candlelight Resort?

Thank you.

#7 Posted: 14/4/2008 - 20:58

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

SBE,

You can see our accommodation listings for Ao Thian here the rates for Candle Light will be on their profile page. If you're really curious about Apache let me know and I can dig out their rates for you.

#8 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 05:46

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thanks Somtam but please don't go to any trouble... Tezza will no doubt be pleased to give the rates for Apache and hopefully some clarification as to what impressed him about the place.

#9 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 14:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Wow. I thought tezza's comments were helpful and appropriate, so don't know exactly why SBE found fault. First off, tezza answered piggy's questions quite properly about the possibility of finding a walk-in accommodation and even added the important caveat of the heavy friday/saturday/holiday traffic on Samet. Piggy seemed pleased with the response as well and even said as much.

As for the additional comments about Apache, it seemed to me that tezza was just adding information about another nearby option should the Candlelight telephone number not become available. That's pretty typical of the types of the posts folks have included in these threads for the two years I've been hanging out on this message board. So, is there something else going on here that isn't obvious to the rest of us?

Personally, I thought Apache was overpriced when we checked it out on our last trip to Samet, and the beach where it is located isn't particularly nice either. But I did think Apache had a good restaurant set up and was worth a stop for a meal or at least a drink while hiking the length of the island.

We first stayed at Ao Thian more than 16 years ago now when it was a romantic collection of thatched huts and not much more. I remember it fondly, but would recommend staying elsewhere now when visiting Samet. Regards.

#10 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 21:44

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Piggy did indeed seem very pleased with Tezza's response...so much so that she said she'd be checking out Apache following his useful recommendation.

But that was before Somtam stepped in and warned her about the place.

Then you confirmed what Somtam had said and went on to contradict practically everything tezza had said about the place.

I wonder if she's got quite such a high opinion of his kind advice now?

Re the caveat...well that came straight off this site. It's in the introduction to the Samet page so Piggy had probably already seen it anyway.

I notice Tezza has posted elsewhere on this forum today so he must have seen this thread. Seems he can't be bothered explaining what impressed him about Apache or say how much the rates were in February.

Yep, he's sure been most helpful(not).

#11 Posted: 16/4/2008 - 02:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi SomeBodyElse, sorry I mean SBE,

You're new to Travelfish, so I just wanted to let you know that unlike some of the other travel forums out there -- Thorntree and Tales of Asia spring to mind -- stalking other users isn't tolerated.

Of course you're absolutely welcome to make a constructive contribution to the forum, but please bear in mind the above.

Tks

#12 Posted: 16/4/2008 - 05:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.