Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chang Mai in May?

• joefog

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2008

Hi there,

First time poster, long time travel fisher! My girlfriend and I are heading over in May and I'm just wondering what the weather is like up north around that time. We'd like to do some trekking around Chang Mai and head to Pai for a week or so, then down south to ultimately....relax!

Cheers
    Joe

#1 Posted: 11/4/2008 - 09:22

• Advertisement

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

It would be the warmest month, and the rainy season begins that time. I had been to Northern Thailand in June before, it was a little smoky due to the burning of fields and forests.

But generally, it is still worth going, as there are less tourists, most guesthouses and tourist spots are not full.

Also, it doesn't rain the whole day. It normally rains in the late afternoon, so you still can have a lot of fine hours to do tracking.

#2 Posted: 11/4/2008 - 23:35

• joefog

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2008

Thanks for your reply, chopin. I didn't make it up there last time I was in Thailand so I think I'll make the effort to check out the north - smoke and all!

#3 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 13:24

• ekay

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2008
    Location Thailand

Hi Joefog,

There were some rain a couple of days ago. Cleared some smog. Come May, the heat stays but in between it may starts to rain as it is approaching the wet season. While in the north, suggest to do a short stay with the locals which not often the travelers do while traveling in Thailand.

#4 Posted: 20/4/2008 - 10:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.