Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Chiang Mai - where to break the journey

• kierjan

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Hi all, New to here but have been recommended by other forums. I'm try to plan a RTW trip and i'm looking to try and plan the Thailand part. At the moment the plan is to arrive in to bangkok, head north before going to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and then back to Bangkok form there we'll head to the Islands before going on to Oz. Anyway I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with somewhere to break the Bangkok to Chiang Mai part of the trip. I'd like to see at least one other part of Northern Thailand. timewise we'd probably have about 2-3 days.
    I'm half thinking of going from Bangkok to Kanchaburi for a few days then back to Bangok and flying to Chiang Mai. What do you all think. Or is there somewhere else along the way that we could stop at (we don't have to fly)
    TIA, Jan

#1 Posted: 14/4/2008 - 22:59

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi,

I would recommend going to Kanchanaburi or Ayutthaya. K-buri has the bridge over the river kwai and a few other places to see and is quite a nice little place. Erawan national park is a nice place and a good day out. You might need 2 or 3 days here to make the most of it but depends how quick you move.

Ayutthaya has lots of really good old wats to visit and I would recommend this place for a day trip from bangkok. Leave early in the morning with a return train ticket from Hualampong station and return in the evening when you've finished.

If you do either (or both) of these you could then fly from BKK to CM. Air asia or Nok air are cheap!!

If you wanted to travel over night you could get the train to CM and sleep on it. Otherwise there is the option of a government or private bus (this is the last option for me and probably the least safe!) GET THE GOVERNMENT bus and dont bother with one from Ko san roads tourist bus MAFIA!

Personally, I would deff fly.

Hope That helps.
    ANT.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 00:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good suggestions there from Ant, another option would be Sukhothai -- train from Bkk to Phitsanulok then a connecting bus to Sukhothai then onwards to Chiang Mai by bus.

#3 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 05:32

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

My choice would be Phitsanulok , and take a day trip through to Sukothai .

#4 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 13:26

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Excellent suggestions above and you'll find that the problem is too many choices and great options. Personally, I might try visiting Kanchanaburi first and then from there heading directly to Ayutthaya for an afternoon visit to the temples and UNESCO area before boarding the overnight sleeper train to Chiang Mai. It would require a bit of advance planning to get the sleeper seats on the train you wanted, but well worth it.

Another option from those above might be to do a short trip out of Chiang Mai once you arrive up north. Again, there are many to choose from, but one that really sticks in my memory as a pleasant two-day side trip was Chiang Dao. No mater which you choose, have fun.

#5 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 21:35

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Yes, Gotta agree that Chiang Dao is a really nice place. If you do go there Chiang Dao caves are good. You can also go to Mae Teang Elephant camp on the way or way back.

#6 Posted: 16/4/2008 - 04:39

• kierjan

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Wow Thanks for all that info everyone. Defintely helps.:)

#7 Posted: 16/4/2008 - 18:06

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

1) Train to Phitsanulok
    2) Bus to Sukhothai
    3) Si Satchanalai by motorbike from Sukhothai for a night (worth it)
    4) Return to Sukhothai
    5) Back to Phitsanulok (do not miss Wat Yai)
    6) Train to Chiangmai

#8 Posted: 16/4/2008 - 22:22

• kierjan

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Thanks a million for all your advice. I think exacto summed it up perfectly when he said "Excellent suggestions above and you'll find that the problem is too many choices and great options."
    We're thinking that we'll go bangkok to chiang mai by plane and spend the extra 2 days in Chau Doc. As we're doing a loop through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia beginning and ending in Bangkok before hitting the island we might visit either Kanchanburi or Ayutthaya for a 2 day trip from Bangkok when we get back there. Thanks again for all the great input.
    Jan

#9 Posted: 17/4/2008 - 03:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Any good tour packages to Chiang Mai for spring break? ... By luoldeng9 on 2 Mar 2012 2 858 5 Mar 2012
Journey time from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang ... By simeone_8 on 21 Mar 2006 4 2915 23 Mar 2006