Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

canadian travellin to thailand from taiwan

• shaenna

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Im visiting my brother who lives in Taiwan and was thinking of flying to Thailand for a week. But i would be alone...is this a safe thing to do? Is it easy to meet other foreigners there or perhaps a place to meet people heading that way BEFORE I go? lol. I heard Khao San Rd is the place to go, any suggestions?? Anyone heading to Thailand soon....

#1 Posted: 14/4/2008 - 23:32

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, It should be perfectly safe if you keep with the tourists, and for that reason i would recommend somewhere near ko san road or maybe sukhumvit. But you should be fine in most of down town bangkok.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 00:02

• myrhmaid

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2007

The road to stay on Bangkok is Soi Rambutti. It's just off Khao San, but quieter and pretty, and tons of travelers wandering around. Also, most of the islands are packed with people - Ko Tao, if you're interested in scuba diving is nice. Also in the north, Chiang Mai is pretty and friendly, cooler than down south with lots of temples to wander around in.

#3 Posted: 19/4/2008 - 15:44

• katieq2

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Agreed about Soi Rambuttri - just around the corner from Khao San, but much quieter. I stayed at Lamphu House, which was soo nice, really comfortable and pretty affordable. Close enough to the action but far enough away for a break!

#4 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 02:44

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I would choose a hotel either in the Siam area or the Sukhumvit Road area. In this area you will have access to the Skytrain. The Skytrain, rapid transit service, can take you to many areas of Bangkok cheap and easy!

Khao San Road is okay but there is no Skytrain there and many of the tourists will be younger tourists.

Some sample hotels:
    http://www.thaihotels.com/bangkok/
    http://www.travelfish.org/map_detail/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/sukhumvit_soi_1_to_asok/8
    http://bangkokcityhotels.com/hotelsnearbtstations/ratchathewi.html
    http://www.thaiwebsites.com/hotels-sukhumvit-bangkok.asp

Happy trails!

#5 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 03:16

• 2face

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

hi shaenna, no, go to kao sarn rd.

and i do think you are safer in Thailand than in Canada. (don't do anything silly, meaning look too much like a tourist, and you should do just fine and stay hassle free.)

if you meant meeting someone BEFORE coming to Thailand, either back home in Canada, or at your brother's in Taiwan, i think no way.

it takes time and some prep-work to arrange a trip from Canada. and as i understand it foreigners in Taiwan are unlikely to get a break from teaching there until after summer.

however, there are plenty of travellers to meet once you arrive - and i do think kao sarn rd. is your best first option.

if you've not been to thailand before, and you are a bit apprehensive, then go there first, yes.

reason is it would be easiest for you to get there. safer, too, as there has been insistences taking a taxi from the airport.

so here it is: take the A2 bus from the airport.

you don't have to think about when to get off the bus as it kao sarn is at the end of the line.

:40 minutes or so later, you're there.

(check that is the A2 that goes to kao sarn. my memory is fuzzy.)

and kao sarn itself is right there when you get off the bus. accommodation abounds in this area, and as it is off-season you should be able to get your pick of the litter.

personally, i like the pink hotel in that area.

(to get there go straight down that same street where the bus has dropped you. turn left to walk over a little bridge. pass 4 or 5 alleyways and turn right.
    you should be able to see the sign from the road.
    about 10 to 12 Canadian dollars a night fan or a/c.)

have a great trip! - but one week isn't enough! try for two or ten days even, beg if have to. it'll be worth it.

#6 Posted: 30/5/2008 - 14:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.