Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Advise for a couple's holiday

• Redwez

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2008

Hi All,
    me and my GF are looking to go to Thailand, but we are not sure when or where is best to go to.
    I have been advised to do a couple of days in Bangkok, then move on to another place for a few days then on to Phi Phi for a few days (total of 10 days).
    Do any of you guys have any advise on what times of the year are best for scenery and nature etc, but also baring in mind it would be nice to catch a tan!

Ideally we wanted to go in November, but not sure this would be the best time to go??

All advice would be welcome!
    Thanks
    Wez

#1 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 15:20

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Dry season in most parts of Thailand is normally from some time in November to some time in April/May. The southern Gulf is the exception, with its rainiest period being Oct into Jan.
    Having said that, wet season is usually no reason to avoid travel - there is normally plenty of sunshine and sustained rainy periods are not that common. I have a fair bit of extra info in the first link below.

My favourite times are mid/late November (dry season has kicked in most places but crowds are still down) and March (shoulder season - not crowded most places).

You have a beach/island place covered with Phi Phi so I reckon you should pick an inland location for your 3rd place. With only 10 days total it is a bit of a haul to the north unless you fly. If you can't afford to fly, Kanchanaburi about 4 hours out of Bangkok is a great country location - Bridge on the River Kwai, bungalows on stilts or floating on the river, caves-hot springs-Erawin Falls-elephant rides upcountry.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 15:48

• Redwez

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2008

Thanks Tezza.
    End of November/Dec would be great timing for us too.
    So possibly start off in Bangkok, then to another resort (going to look at your website), then Phi Phi.
    Is Koh Samui a good choice?

We are treating this more of a luxury holiday then a backpacking holiday. So nice hotels etc are what we are looking for, but at the cheapest we can find them obviously.

#3 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 15:55

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi,

There really isn't a BEST time to go to Thailand. Different times of year have good and bad reasons to go or not. In the cool season (November, December, January) the climate is much more comfortable and while still hot compared to the UK, its nothing like the Thai summer (March, April, May) which can be unbearable in the day. But, the cool season is generally more expensive for hotels, flights etc... And places like krabi / Phuket is going to be full of package tourist.

Thai summer has SONGKRAN! (Needs to be experienced at least once in a life time) and is hot but cheaper and less tourists. (Apart from mid April for songkran)
    If you go in the rainy season you can see a lot of rice growing, flowers, more water in the waterfalls and it doesn’t rain all the time but it does rain hard and some places do flood. This season is probably the best for the nature, greenery et..

So, a couple of days in Bangkok is a good idea and then as mentioned above, kanchanaburi is a great country place to visit. Having only 10 days means your not going to see loads of different places but if you could take an extra day in Bangkok and use it to go to Ayutthaya for the day (lots of old ruins) that would be another place done.

How are you intending to get to Phi Phi and from where? If you were to fly to Krabi and then spend a couple of days in Ao Nang you can get the ferry from there to Phi Phi.

I hope you can extract some useful info from this post and if you could take a few extra days to spend in Thailand it really would be worth it.

Have fun.

*Added after reading your reply - If its a luxury holiday your going for DONT bother with Phi Phi or ko Phangan. Try Samui or Phuket instead*

#4 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 16:42

• Redwez

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2008

Thanks Jon, very helpfull indeed!

We have only just started to think about Thailand and what we are going to do, but all this advise is really good.
    I dont know whether starting at Bangkok or ending there is best (maybe ending as we can buy stuff then).

Not sure what other places to do other than Phi Phi right now, but I have been told by a cousin who spent time over there that Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Tao and Ko Samet are all good places to go.

I have also been told about a monistry that keeps Tigers. I love tigers, so I could be tempted to go there if its not to out of the way.

Ill be reading all of your info and making some decisions soon.

#5 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 16:59

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi maybe? Someone will know.

Goodluck,

#6 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 17:07

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

quote: "Is Samui a good choice?"
    Umm, well often not in November which is normally that area's wettest month and is one of the few places and times that I have seen frequent complaints about sustained rainy periods. Having said that, my first trip to Samui was in November and I got good weather.
    Samui also is kinda similar to the more settled parts of Phi Phi - if you are looking for another island I reckon you should go for something close to Phi Phi but say much more laid back** like Ko Jum, the southern beaches of Ko Lanta or Ko Yao Noi.

But once again, I think you would get more value out of a non beach place for your 3rd location, unless you are a beach/island freak like me.
    **The east coast of Phi Phi is laid back, but most visitors, particularly first timers, don't stay there,

#7 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 18:24

• darrenh

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

just spent two weeks in thailand. from my experience spend as little time in bangkok. chiang mai in the north is brilliant and far better than bangkok.

on phi phi we stayed at phi phi relax resort and its amazing.

#8 Posted: 16/4/2008 - 04:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advise for a chilled Island Holiday ... By davipinks on 20 Oct 2009 3 1711 15 Nov 2009