Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand to Cambodia to Laos

Posted by Layabout on 15/4/2008 at 21:17

I've been to Thailand a few times but never tried backpacking so this is my plan to fly to Bangkok then bus or train to Cambodia, visit Siem Reap, then back to Bangkok, train to Nong Khai cross into Vientiene, bus to Luang Prabang and boat trip up Mekong to Thailand,head to Chiang Mai and train back to Bangkok.
I have about 3 weeks to do this in and spend a few days in each place. So I am seaking advice about travel and accomodation along the way. Thanks

#1 Layabout has been a member since 17/3/2008. Posts: 27

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/4/2008 at 11:05 admin

Hi Layabout,

My only suggestion would be to do the Laos bit in reverse, only because then you're heading downriver rather than upriver. Otherwise all looks good.

There's more suggested itineraries here, if you're looking for more ideas.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Layabout on 22/4/2008 at 20:34

Thanks for the suggestion I suppose it does make more sense to go with the flow of the river instead of against it.Looks like I may have to change direction of travel.
Any idea where to get on the boat in Thailand to get to Luang Prabang and cost of trip?

#3 Layabout has been a member since 17/3/2008. Posts: 27

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/4/2008 at 08:37 admin

The boat departs from Huay Xai , which is opposite the Thai border town of Chiang Khong -- see the Lao slowboat thread for more info and past experiences on the boat.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Layabout on 12/6/2008 at 20:19

When we leave Siem Reap and head back to Thailand do we have to go back to Bangkok before heading to Nong Khai or is there somewhere else to get off and catch another bus or train North.
I have also heard that there is a bus from airport that heads to Cambodia is this correct

Thanks

#5 Layabout has been a member since 17/3/2008. Posts: 27

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.