Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand weather June

• michmich11

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

I am planing a trip to Thailand in June. I have heard that different parts of the country will have different weather at--where will it be monsoon season and where will I be ok? Anywhere I should avoid?

#1 Posted: 18/4/2008 - 10:28

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Click on travelfish's excellent interractive weather map linked in the column to the right for some good info.

In June normally all Thailand except the southern Gulf is in monsoon. The southern Gulf (Samui and neighbours plus adjacent mainland coast) usual wet season is Oct into Jan. I have had some great holidays there mid year - lots of sunshine, a few good storms.

June is normally not the worst of the wet season most other places - Sept and OCt tend to be wetter. I know one Phuket expat says the real wet season does not start until sometime in July. I have had good holidays both midyear and in August in the Andaman. Usually plenty of sunshine, one or more showers/storms per day, quite a few days with no rain or rain only at night, prolonged rainy periods not real common.

"Anywhere I should avoid?".
    Well the eastern Gulf around Trat/big Ko Chang is often REAL wet in June - the AVERAGE is over 900mm for the month - I'd hate to be there in a wetter than normal June. For comparison, I think London averages something in the 400s for a YEAR. Nevertheless I've seen plenty of posts from Chang in mid-year talking of good holidays - looks like they still get a fair bit of sunshine, but when it rains it REALLY rains.
    I've also seen a number of posts talking of PEOPLE DROWNING in big surf on Chang. All the main beaches face east into the prevailing winds - when these blow hard for a few days you can get big surf with dangerous rip currents, so take care. Maybe you could read my TIPS ON NOT DROWNING PAGE here http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2007/04/some-tips-on-not-drowning.html
    The Rayong area is also extra wet at around 700mm. I think the tourist attractions there,Ko Phayam and little Ko Chang Andaman side largely close down in the wet season.

BTW, the central Gulf, Ko Samet, Pattaya and Bangkok often get less rain than most areas besides the southern Gulf in June.
    I have a fair bit more info on the wet season here http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2007/04/wet-weather-information.html

#2 Posted: 18/4/2008 - 18:56

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ummm, of course the above should read that all Ko Changs tourist beaches face WEST into the prevailing wet season winds.

#3 Posted: 18/4/2008 - 19:00

• michmich11

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Thanks that was really helpful!

#4 Posted: 18/4/2008 - 19:33

• Haney

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2009
    Location Norway

We're a group of four originally planning to visit big Ko Chang in early July (2009). Reading your comments and your blog, we're a bit torn. Is this totally unrealistic? We enjoyed both rain and sun in Sihanoukville in Cambodia last summer (not far from Ko Chang), but the place was pretty deserted, may we experienve the same on islands in south east Thailand?

#5 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 02:39

• RichardPhuk-
    et

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

You should try avoiding traveling to Thailand during months like June, July, August and September. If you go at that time, you’ll probably waste your money on the ticket. That is of course if you didn’t plan to go there to stand in the rain all day.

#6 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 15:43

• melee75

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2011

Were here right now in Chiang Mai. We came up from Bangkok and then Ayyuthua. There have been occasional showers but not longer than an hour or so. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it is. Of course its hot and humid but not as unbearable as last summer in New York.

One of our group just came from the islands (Ko Phagnan, Ko Tao) and he said the weather was fine and the rain didnt affect him that much.

Hope this helps.

#7 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 13:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Weather in Gulf of Thailand/ Ko Chang in June ... By dion1927 on 31 May 2006 2 5917 31 May 2006