Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Going to Chiang Mai - I'm nervous!

• dancercr

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008

Hey everyone.
    Okay so I'm a 23 yr old female, and I am planning on travelling to volunteer at the Elephant Nature Foundation which is outside of Chiang Mai. So far I'm travelling alone. I have a few questions:

I have read that travelling alone is alright, and since I don't really plan on going anywhere but Chiang Mai and the ENF I'm not to worried, however I'm still wondering if going alone would be a bad idea. Any thoughts?

When would be the best time of year to go?

This question is fairly emberassing - I have a severe phobia of large insects - and I know that going to a Nature Park near the Jungle isn't necessarily the best thing for that! However if someone could tell me a little bit about what insects are native to that area and what I should do to 'prepare' that would help alot :)
    All in all I'm really excited, but I feel like I don't know nearly enough about Thailand. I'm reading as much as I can, but any information you could provide would be awesome!

#1 Posted: 19/4/2008 - 12:43

• Advertisement

• myrhmaid

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2007

Hi there. I've lived in Chiang Mai for a year (it's great), and traveled lots on my own - you'll be fine, just use common sense. As for insects, you'll see lots of ants, and a large looking beetle type thing, but unless you have a huge phobia of geckos, it'll be ok.

#2 Posted: 19/4/2008 - 15:38

• cecyinjapan

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2008

I've been to Thailand 8-9 times, and Chiang Mai pobably 5-6 times. I am also female and usually travel alone. I've never had any problems. As Myrhmaid said, just use common sense, and you'll be fine. Have a good time at the elephant foundation.

#3 Posted: 23/4/2008 - 13:26

• caseyrebecca

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

I highly recommend the cooking course at A Lot of Thai if you're looking for something to do in Chiang Mai - nicest people ever!
    www.alotofthai.com

#4 Posted: 26/4/2008 - 13:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.