Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Vaccination requirements if going to Phuket for 1 week

• Mippy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Hi, I've been advised to get a Hep A and Typhoid shot. I'm going to Phuket (from Australia) for one week only. My travel agent says don't worry about it and my doctor wants me to pay over $100 to get the shots. Any suggestions? I'm currently leaning towards getting a Hep A shot only...

#1 Posted: 19/4/2008 - 16:16

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd get both. Nice of your travel agent to suggest they're not worth getting, but I'd beg to differ.

Typhoid is passed person to person through food and drink and/or contaminated water supplies, while Hep A can be picked up from another person with it, or by eating food contaminated by someone who has Hep A. Raw and/or undercooked shellfish that come from contaminated waters can also be problematic.

So the time you're planning on spending somewhere is pretty irrelevant -- if you're planning on eating out (highly recommended) then there is a chance (albeit remote) that you'll pick one of the above up.

In the end it's a personal decision -- in over ten years of travelling I've met one woman with typhoid and a handful with Hep A, so you;d have to be really unlucky -- but that's what vaccinations are all about -- peace of mind.

#2 Posted: 20/4/2008 - 13:00

• Mippy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Yeah, I think I'm going to get both just to be on the safe side - cheers

#3 Posted: 20/4/2008 - 14:48

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

You can probably get the shots cheaper in Phuket. The international hospital there is very good (and cheap by western standards), quick visit on your first morning could be cheaper perhaps? Having said that I don't know if there is any requirement for a time interval before these injections become active.

#4 Posted: 21/4/2008 - 09:37

• theewadaa

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2007

If they give antibodies You can do it on short term; for vacination You need more time and several shots; ask Your physisian better.

#5 Posted: 24/4/2008 - 15:24

• Mippy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. I eventually ended up with two very sore arms and a whoosy body for a couple of days after getting a tentnus, a combined Hep A & B (it's cheaper than just getting a Hep A), and a Typhoid shot. It cost me $135 Australian which I thought wasn't too bad.

Apparently if you can find a medical centre with a nurse and drugs on-site it is much cheaper than if you got your doctor to write you out a prescription, go get it filled by a chemist, and then go back to your doctor for the injections. This was a lucky break on my part as the medical centre I chose happened to have a nurse's station out back, with a room full of the vaccinations. A friend of mine only got Hep A and Typhoid the other day and she paid $100 because she bought the drugs at a chemist. Hope this helps. Cheers

#6 Posted: 25/4/2008 - 07:57

• Mippy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Oops, I meant tetnus

#7 Posted: 25/4/2008 - 08:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.