Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ban Krut vs. Bang Saphan Noi?

Posted by myrhmaid on 22/4/2008 at 16:33

Hi there. In two weeks I'm finishing off a year abroad in Thailand, and looking for a quiet beach. I was orginally going to head to the southern beaches of Bang Saphan Noi (staying at Lola's) and then to Ban Krut (staying at ProudThai), but now I'm thinking I might just stay in one place. So what I'm asking is, which one is better? Prettier, better atmosphere, friendlier people etc? If anyone has stayed at either, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

: )

#1 myrhmaid has been a member since 30/11/2007. Posts: 12

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/4/2008 at 08:23 admin

I'd go for Bang Saphan Yai over Ban Krut. Search the forum for Bang Saphan Yai and you'll find a couple of pretty useful threads on the topic.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by khunwilko on 25/4/2008 at 14:38

I liked Ban Krut....but avoid the public holidays as the whole coastline gets full.
Avoid Saphan Yai, it's none too brill....but just about anywhere along that coast will turn up something nice....the only problem can be that because they are geared up to huge sudden waves of Thai holiday makers all at once, turning up on your own kind of catches them on the hop so you may find they don't/can't offer a full service.

#3 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 30/4/2008 at 00:41

Bang Saphan Yai is nice and quiet as is Ban Krut. I thought the long beach of Ban Krut was nicer but there was more to do in Ban Saphan. (exploring)

Its quiet a difficult one tho really as they are quiet similer. If you said Bangkok or Ban Krut the differences are plenty so would of been eisier.

I guess just look on the forum and at some pictures and see what ya like the look of.

:)

#4 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by khunwilko on 30/4/2008 at 07:35

I always think the steel mill at Bang Saphan Yai is a bit of a drawback though.I'm told there's a nice bordello in the town

#5 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by apache380 on 11/8/2008 at 16:03

Bonjour, Hi !
I plan to come to live in Ban-krut where my wife bought a land in 2005, it's a lovely place in Thailand.
But I heard from a friend that Ban krut is completely changing at this moment, so many resort and hotels, restaurants are in construction.
if someone has been there recently, please to tell me what you know about that. Thanks, bests regards.
apache380

#6 apache380 has been a member since 11/8/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 26/8/2008 at 22:13

Haven't been there for a few years but its only a matter of time before Ban Krut becomes over developed like the rest of the nice places. Its a lovely long beach (longest in Thailand i thought).

Good luck with living there.

:)

#7 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by khunwilko on 27/8/2008 at 09:25

a year ago the building was getting underway and a lot of Thailand was split into plots ready for development"

It is part of Thai culture - if you can build on it ...do it.....regardless of what effect it has on the environment and the very reasons that people want to go there in the first place.

Thailand repeatedly develops areas of natural beauty to their detriment....the development is largely unregulated and corrupt.

The country seems unaware that it has only limited natural resources and these are being consumed at a rate of knots. They will still make money but will not be regarded for their tropical beaches and islands etc, but there shopping and tower blocks.....the sort of thing that brought Spain"s holiday industry to it's knees a couple of decades ago.

#8 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 28/8/2008 at 16:28

exactly! But as long as they keep the protected areas there might be at least a feww trees left in Thailand in 200 years.

;)

#9 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by apache380 on 29/8/2008 at 12:41

Bonjour, Hi !
I plan to come to live in Ban-krut where my wife bought a land in 2005, it's a lovely place in Thailand.
But I heard from a friend that Ban krut is completely changing at this moment, so many resort and hotels, restaurants are in construction.
if someone has been there recently, please to tell me what you know about that. Thanks, bests regards.
apache380

#10 apache380 has been a member since 11/8/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 8/9/2008 at 05:49

strange?

#11 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by khunwilko on 8/9/2008 at 08:23

J - Mak Maak

Its off topic but you should be aware that encroachment onto "protected areas" is rampant in ALL parts of Thailand. It is the hallmark of the developer.

#12 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by RotPickup on 29/9/2008 at 10:57

Actual situation at ban krut:
i am currently staying at ban krut (lovely weather) and must say that things have not changed that much since my last visit in 2007. there is some building activity but nothing to worry about.
At the moment it is very quiet, easy to find decent accomodation. Many upmarket places are completely empty although that might change on the weekends.

#13 RotPickup has been a member since 7/6/2008. Posts: 32

Posted by travelrock on 30/9/2008 at 10:25

so is the place good or not?

#14 travelrock has been a member since 19/4/2008. Posts: 209

Posted by apache380 on 5/10/2008 at 03:50

Merci Rotpickup
I have now your feel back on the actual Ban-krut situation: Ban-Krut is slowly changing to stay an attractive nice seaside station, but not a new Patong beach as I was scared. So staying a small fisher village with accomodations for quiet families looking for nice area and tipical Thai culture.
Thx again. Apache380

#15 apache380 has been a member since 11/8/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 5/10/2008 at 16:23

its good yeah. :)

#16 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by talepleym on 21/7/2010 at 19:46

Hi Rotpickup and others who have been to Ban Krut - I've been told that Bang Yai is hard to get around with a pram, as there are only motorbikes available. Is this the same for Ban Krut? We've got 6 days in Thailand in Sept, and would love to stay in this area. But we have our 18 month old son with us, so need to go a place we can get lifts with cars.
Thanks!

#17 talepleym has been a member since 20/7/2010. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.