Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ban Krut vs. Bang Saphan Noi?

• myrhmaid

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2007

Hi there. In two weeks I'm finishing off a year abroad in Thailand, and looking for a quiet beach. I was orginally going to head to the southern beaches of Bang Saphan Noi (staying at Lola's) and then to Ban Krut (staying at ProudThai), but now I'm thinking I might just stay in one place. So what I'm asking is, which one is better? Prettier, better atmosphere, friendlier people etc? If anyone has stayed at either, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

: )

#1 Posted: 22/4/2008 - 16:33

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd go for Bang Saphan Yai over Ban Krut. Search the forum for Bang Saphan Yai and you'll find a couple of pretty useful threads on the topic.

#2 Posted: 23/4/2008 - 08:23

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I liked Ban Krut....but avoid the public holidays as the whole coastline gets full.
    Avoid Saphan Yai, it's none too brill....but just about anywhere along that coast will turn up something nice....the only problem can be that because they are geared up to huge sudden waves of Thai holiday makers all at once, turning up on your own kind of catches them on the hop so you may find they don't/can't offer a full service.

#3 Posted: 25/4/2008 - 14:38

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Bang Saphan Yai is nice and quiet as is Ban Krut. I thought the long beach of Ban Krut was nicer but there was more to do in Ban Saphan. (exploring)

Its quiet a difficult one tho really as they are quiet similer. If you said Bangkok or Ban Krut the differences are plenty so would of been eisier.

I guess just look on the forum and at some pictures and see what ya like the look of.

:)

#4 Posted: 30/4/2008 - 00:41

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I always think the steel mill at Bang Saphan Yai is a bit of a drawback though.I'm told there's a nice bordello in the town

#5 Posted: 30/4/2008 - 07:35

• apache380

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Bonjour, Hi !
    I plan to come to live in Ban-krut where my wife bought a land in 2005, it's a lovely place in Thailand.
    But I heard from a friend that Ban krut is completely changing at this moment, so many resort and hotels, restaurants are in construction.
    if someone has been there recently, please to tell me what you know about that. Thanks, bests regards.
    apache380

#6 Posted: 11/8/2008 - 16:03

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Haven't been there for a few years but its only a matter of time before Ban Krut becomes over developed like the rest of the nice places. Its a lovely long beach (longest in Thailand i thought).

Good luck with living there.

:)

#7 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 22:13

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

a year ago the building was getting underway and a lot of Thailand was split into plots ready for development"

It is part of Thai culture - if you can build on it ...do it.....regardless of what effect it has on the environment and the very reasons that people want to go there in the first place.

Thailand repeatedly develops areas of natural beauty to their detriment....the development is largely unregulated and corrupt.

The country seems unaware that it has only limited natural resources and these are being consumed at a rate of knots. They will still make money but will not be regarded for their tropical beaches and islands etc, but there shopping and tower blocks.....the sort of thing that brought Spain"s holiday industry to it's knees a couple of decades ago.

#8 Posted: 27/8/2008 - 09:25

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

exactly! But as long as they keep the protected areas there might be at least a feww trees left in Thailand in 200 years.

;)

#9 Posted: 28/8/2008 - 16:28

• apache380

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2008

Bonjour, Hi !
    I plan to come to live in Ban-krut where my wife bought a land in 2005, it's a lovely place in Thailand.
    But I heard from a friend that Ban krut is completely changing at this moment, so many resort and hotels, restaurants are in construction.
    if someone has been there recently, please to tell me what you know about that. Thanks, bests regards.
    apache380

#10 Posted: 29/8/2008 - 12:41

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

strange?

#11 Posted: 8/9/2008 - 05:49

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

J - Mak Maak

Its off topic but you should be aware that encroachment onto "protected areas" is rampant in ALL parts of Thailand. It is the hallmark of the developer.

#12 Posted: 8/9/2008 - 08:23

• RotPickup

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 35

Actual situation at ban krut:
    i am currently staying at ban krut (lovely weather) and must say that things have not changed that much since my last visit in 2007. there is some building activity but nothing to worry about.
    At the moment it is very quiet, easy to find decent accomodation. Many upmarket places are completely empty although that might change on the weekends.

#13 Posted: 29/9/2008 - 10:57

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

so is the place good or not?

#14 Posted: 30/9/2008 - 10:25

• apache380

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2008

Merci Rotpickup
    I have now your feel back on the actual Ban-krut situation: Ban-Krut is slowly changing to stay an attractive nice seaside station, but not a new Patong beach as I was scared. So staying a small fisher village with accomodations for quiet families looking for nice area and tipical Thai culture.
    Thx again. Apache380

#15 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 03:50

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

its good yeah. :)

#16 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 16:23

• talepleym

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2010

Hi Rotpickup and others who have been to Ban Krut - I've been told that Bang Yai is hard to get around with a pram, as there are only motorbikes available. Is this the same for Ban Krut? We've got 6 days in Thailand in Sept, and would love to stay in this area. But we have our 18 month old son with us, so need to go a place we can get lifts with cars.
    Thanks!

#17 Posted: 21/7/2010 - 19:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bang Saphan-Ban Krut reviews Seven years old ... By sayadian on 5 Jul 2013 18 1665 23 Sep 2013
Bang Saphan Yai? ... By MaxEliza on 9 Jan 2010 2 2522 11 Jan 2010
Bang Saphan Yai- Fantastic Beach ... By forestmat on 21 Mar 2007 20 14104 12 May 2011
Bang Saphan to Surat or straight to Krabi? ... By alexlazarus on 7 Oct 2009 13 3523 12 Oct 2009
Recommended Restaurant- G.K. Restaurant, Bang Saphan ... By hmichels on 12 Aug 2009 1 1868 12 Aug 2009