Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Libong

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

Just wondering if it's worth visiting in July?

Will we be the only ones there?

Good for exploring on bike and foot?

Also the new Le Dugong Resort looks good but isn't listed by TF. Any reviews on that?

#1 Posted: 27/4/2008 - 19:24

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I've held off commenting, hoping someone with direct info would anwer.

I had a report on Libong on another forum which included a c&p from a guy who had visited Le Dugon. Unfortunately that forum closed and the post was lost. However he was favourably impressed and seemed to suggest it was a step up from Ko Libong Beach Resort which I found impressive - see http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2006/12/ko-libong-hat-yao-and-ko-laoliang.html - btw there is a photo of Le Dugon there, sure looks nice.

Will you be the only ones there? Well it was very laid back in my March visit, and I reckon way quieter in July, so maybe you will have few other visitors.
    I'm not sure what is open low season, but Libong Beach Resort's webpage suggests it is - http://www.libongbeachresort.com/locationmap.html

Good exploring on bike and foot? I can only say it certainly looked that way - my visit was a last minute decision to fill my last couple of days in Thailand on that particular trip and I was real content to just hang around the very nice resort and beach at LBR. However the owner took me across to the public longtail ferry on departure and the road was pretty good, went thru some nice countryside, a couple of cute little villages, past a few good beaches etc. The pier village was worth a wander - a lot of it is actually built on stilts over the mangroves and on each side of the pier access road which extends several hundred meters out to the deeper channel. I didn't get a look at the road which goes in the other direction from LBR into the hillier part of the island, but that part sure looked impressive from LBR's longtail on the way in.

#2 Posted: 1/5/2008 - 19:21

• irieman

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010

have been there for 5 days in the middle of July this year. the weather was fine. we stayed in le dugong and there was never more than 10 white people there (in le dugond and the reser next to it.. libong beach resrot i guess).
    the minivan from Trang costs 70 per person (u go to hat yao) than a boat to the island is 50.
    on the island u have to pay 100bht to get to the resorts on the motorbike. the way back we paid 150 for two people (we went in motorbike with carriage).
    in Le Dugong we got a simple bungalow for 200bht a day (first price was 250). food in the resorts seems a bit expensive (the cheapest meal is around 80/100) but in the village one can get fried rice with stuff or nuddle soups for half of that we paied for rice 45bht and 40 for a soup). renting a motorbike is also cheaper in the village (le dugong seems the most expensive in that case -> 200 for half day and 400 full day, in libong beach resort the price was a bit lower -> 300 per day but we got it for 200 there).

hope that will be helpful.

#3 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 14:42

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Certainly useful.
    I got a trip report from a Malaysian girl went there with a friend low season last year - said Libong Beach Resort was basically shut down, but the caretaker gave them a bungalow and provided meals - they had a great time.

Seems like things are busier this year on Libong. In June I was on neighbouring Kradan - THE ONLY TOURIST ON THE ISLAND! - I was looking across at Libong thinking "won't go there - be as quiet as here"
    Maybe not.

#4 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 16:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.