Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Transfer from Phi Phi to Phuket????

• germcmanus

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2008

Hi there.

My girlfriend and I arrive on Phi Phi towards the end of May, my question is, we fly out of Phuket at 12.20pm on May 31st on to Hong Kong with Dragonair. I have been checking all ferry timetables and it seems no ferry will be leaving Phi Phi in time to get us safely to the airport, even 90 minutes before our flight. The earliest ferry I have seen is 9.00am from Phi Phi and it takes 1hr 30mins to get to Phuket and another 40 minutes(all going well) from the pier to the airport, bringing the time to about 11.10am....for a 12.20pm departure time. I really don't want to have to spend the night before in Phuket. I was wondering if anyone knows of the times for the speedboats that leave Phi Phi to Phuket and roughly the cost. I have been to Phi Phi before in 2002 but it seems forever ago and everything is very vague to me now! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! On a side note - We are planning on the Cabana for a few nights and maybe even Zeavola for a few nights as they are doing a "buy 2 nights and get the 3rd free" deal, is Zeavola worth it. And finally, I know we can expect quite a bit of rain, but will it be mainly heavy downpours or can we expect many overcast days?

Thank you!!!

#1 Posted: 1/5/2008 - 06:07

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, We got a speedboat from Phi Phi to Phuket in January when we had to rush my dad to hospital (this is a story coming soon).

The price we paid was about 12000 Baht. I dont know if thats a good price or not but at the time we didnt care and just needed the speedboat!

Personally I would just stay a night in Phuket.

Ant,

#2 Posted: 1/5/2008 - 06:18

• germcmanus

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2008

Ant,

Thanks for the response and sorry to hear about your dad, I hope everything worked out. That price is a little steep for us I am afraid, it works out at about $400...ouch!

Is it common for groups to hire speedboats together and where on the island would you find likely people who would want a speedboat at "roughly" the same time/morning as you!!?

Thanks again.

#3 Posted: 1/5/2008 - 06:23

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi,

My dad was badly injured for about a month, It’s a long story and hell of an experience considering we were staying in Krabi but its for a post of its own. (Just stay out the water is all I’m saying! lol) 

On Phi Phi there are LOADS of boats and travel agents and even more people going to from. 12000 is indeed very steep and in normal circumstances I would never pay that.

I don’t really know how you could make your plane without a night in Phuket but I hope someone else might know.

#4 Posted: 1/5/2008 - 06:53

• germcmanus

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2008

Cheers for that Jon.

#5 Posted: 1/5/2008 - 07:08

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The people at Leigh Travel Club are frequent visitors to PP - they may be worth contacting about speedboat transport - I seem to remember a post on another forum saying they chartered an outwards speedboat including pickup at the airport.
    http://www.leightravelclub.com/thailand.htm
    There is also a seaplane service but that would not be cheap - http://www.destinationair.com/index.php
    I would not rely on the morning ferry even with a bigger margin of time - punctuality aint the Thais' strongest asset at the best of times and in low season when the swell gets up the ferries often throttle back - my outward ferry in August took an extra 40 minutes or so because of this. I would go the afternoon before - maybe go to one of the Phuket beaches for the night for a look around, a late arvo swim if the seas are calm, a drink/meal in one of the headland bars/restaurants and maybe even some entertainment. Free transfer from the pier to most beaches is usually part of the ticket price - Phuket town is a bit ordinary at night.
    Of course one of the many travel agents on Phi Phi will be able to give you up to date info on possibilities of speedboats once you are there and then you can decide whether to catch the ferry or not.

#6 Posted: 1/5/2008 - 18:53

• germcmanus

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2008

Tezza,

Much appreciation for your detailed response, I have visited your blog in the past and you are very helpful to all travelers.

Thank you for your advice, I think it may be best to just take the last ferry the day before and travel on the side of caution!

Thank you again.

#7 Posted: 2/5/2008 - 00:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Transfer from Phuket to Koh Yao Yai ... By lisagm100 on 20 Aug 2014 2 341 20 Aug 2014