Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Satun Province in August - what's open?

• caseyrebecca

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

We will be arriving in Satun province from Pulau Langkawi in August, from guidebooks it looks like lots of things will be closed. Any recommendations on where to go after arriving in Satun? We have three or four weeks to make our way north to Bangkok and spend lots of time doing nothing on the beach... Because of weather we'll be spending lots of time on the Gulf coast, but would love to see some of the West!

#1 Posted: 2/5/2008 - 11:51

• Advertisement

• caseyrebecca

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

I found this message on Koh Lipe:
    More places stay open during low season

During the 2008 low season (from May till November) more places will stay open. Bundhaya Resort & Pooh Bungalows are amongst the ones that stay open all year, while the new Castaway Resort only closes from June 1st until July 31st.

There will also be a ferry on Friday from Pak Barra to Koh Lipe, returning on Sunday. This, combined with the weekly cargo boat (on which you can hitch a ride), will make Koh Lipe more accessible during the low season, or as the locals call it: green season.

But weekly seems a little infrequent for us - other ideas?

#2 Posted: 2/5/2008 - 13:18

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I just tried to check Bulone Resort's and Pansand Resort's website on Ko Bulon Lae - the latter's suggests it won't be open from the start of June to November and Bulone's won't respond on the booking page suggesting they have already shut.
    So it looks like the next alternative may be to go north a bit to the Trang islands - Muk, Ngai and Kradan definitely are open and there is a good chance Ko Libong Resort is open.
    Easiest way to get to the island is to go to one of the small travel agents near the station in Trang who can book you into a resort and arrange transport.
    Some info http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2006/12/ko-ngai-hai.html

#3 Posted: 4/5/2008 - 21:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

A lot, though not all places, on Lipe and Bulon lae will be closed. You can aska round in Satun town to find out what is open, or head north to Trang -- the islands in trang province tend to be more "open year-round" stype operations.

#4 Posted: 5/5/2008 - 06:01

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi I agree with the above posts. Was in trang in march this year.Very easy to find railway station and across street as tezza says you'll find a row of small travel agents.They will be able to sort out transport and check on accomodation for you.We headed up to Ko lanta for the beaches/scuba diving etc. Was only 2 1/2 hrs by minivan 250thb from recollection.Also as a recommendation lanta was great 95% muslim which meant fantastic curries lovely friendly people.The bars are run by the buddhists so no problem getting a drink if you feel like it.Any question ask away

#5 Posted: 5/5/2008 - 12:05

• silverwood

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Travelfishers (especially tezza - your beach & island info is great). Do you think Koh Bulon Lae will be 'open and operating' in July?
    I went to Koh Lipe last year in June and it was very quiet (just to my liking), boats were still running every day but many of the shops, restaurants and bungalows were closed. I was cashed up at the time so stayed a few nights at Castaway and then bargained myself a few cut price nights at the new Idylic Resort up the beach (best spot for snorkling).
    I'm almost tossing up whether to head back to Koh Lipe again this year or venture further afield, I'm a sucker for snorkling off the beach. One map points to a bit of coral off Bulon shores....and there are usually a few fish to spot around the rocks, in between trashy novels, fruit shakes, green curry and sunset beers.

#6 Posted: 1/5/2010 - 15:44

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Silver, I'm a dill, didn't remember to ask Pansand and Bulone Resort if they would be open low season this year when I visited early last Dec.
    Their websites may give you the drum.
    If not, I'd be using TRAVELFISH's contact #s for the excellent Marina and very nice Viewpoint.

Closest good snorkelling off the beach with accomm are Kos Kradan and Ngai - both have east facing (sheltered from sw monsoon) beaches and places which stay open low season.

#7 Posted: 2/5/2010 - 14:41

• silverwood

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Thanks for comments tezza. Reply from Panasand on Bulon-lae confirmed they are closed over the 'green season'. However, you've now steered me in the direction of Trang and I like what I see so far. Plus, my travelling buddy keen to see some dugongs. Might go an clean the Lipe sand out of the snorkle in anticipation.

#8 Posted: 4/5/2010 - 06:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
E-Fish for Satun province, Thailand ... By wessatong on 7 Mar 2008 3 3454 8 Mar 2008