Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Is 4 weeks enough

• NEILEIO

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2008

im planing a trip starting in bangkok on to chaing mai over to laos and vietnam,cambodia,can anybody help me out,its my first time backpacking,any ideas on the best way to travel and what places to see and do i hav enough time to do it all in or should i just travel around 2 countrys,all comments will be a big help.cheers.

#1 Posted: 2/5/2008 - 19:18

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi I think if you have just have 4 weeks you might be better seeing parts of two countries rather than the 4 you suggested. This would be a very rushed itinerary.Take your time and come back another time to see more. I think less travelling will give a better feel for the countries your seeing.Also have a look at the good section on itineraries on this site. You will get a better feel for what you can achieve.Regards
    Swag

#2 Posted: 3/5/2008 - 08:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Agree, trying to visit four countries in 4 weeks would be far too rushed. It's going to be quite rushed just seeing two countries.

#3 Posted: 3/5/2008 - 17:55

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It depends on what you want to see, how you want to travel, and what your budget is. It does sound like quite a bit to cram into 4 weeks, though.

If time is really an issue, I'd skip Chiangmai if you are going to spend a few days in Thailand. It's in a lovely area, and it's not as crazy as Bangkok, but it is just another big city in Thailand with some really nice temples. I'd also spend as little time as possible in Vientiane if you go there.

You could go to straight to Chiangrai from Bangkok, look around the area (it's beautiful), then head over to Chiang Kong where you can cross into Laos and hop on the slow boat to Luang Prabang. That town is worth a couple days, at least. Then head south to Vientiane by bus with a stop in Vang Vieng (it was excellent when I was there, but that was 10 years ago), then fly to Siem Reap. Check out Angkor for a few days, then take the ferry to Phnom Pehn (a much more interesting, cutting edge city than Chiangmai), continue south to Sihanoukville, then come back to Thailand by ferry. Both of these ferry trips are excellent!

You'll get some of the best of Laos, Cambodia, and about 1 1/2 weeks in Thailand. Vietnam would be a bit too much and warrants a separate visit itself.

But, if you just want to wander around and take things as they come, stick to Thailand and either Laos or Cambodia. You'll enjoy yourself more.

Just as an aside, you could enter Cambodia from Trat Province, then go to Sihanoukville by ferry, up to PP by bus, spend a few days there, and then take the ferry to Siem Reap and then FLY back to Bangkok. You'd end up spending about 8-10 days in Cambodia and would be able to spend the rest of your time poking around in Thailand. The cost of your flight could be worth the full day of travel time that it would take to get back to Thailand.

Anyway, good luck. You'll have a lot of fun.

#4 Posted: 3/5/2008 - 21:11

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"I'd skip Chiangmai if you are going to spend a few days in Thailand."

Ahhh! Sorry. I meant to say, "I'd skip Chiangmai if you are going to spend a few days in Bangkok."

And you will spend a few days in Bangkok, both upon arrival and probably before you leave.

#5 Posted: 3/5/2008 - 21:13

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'd skip the slow boat to Luang Prabang as well, and fly straight there from Chiang Mai or BKK.

That boat ride from Chiang Kong/Huay Xai isn't worth 2+ days out of your tight schedule IMO and you can do shorter Mekong river excursions from LP if you want.

#6 Posted: 3/5/2008 - 21:32

• NEILEIO

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2008

Hey every body thanks for all your help there are some real good tips in there.cheers Neil

#7 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 19:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.