Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Honeymoon in Thailand (info please)

• arthurfi

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2008

Hi all,
    My fiancée and I are planning to travel to Thailand for our honeymoon from the end off November to the second week in December. We were planning on going to Ko Samui but my fiancée is now very worried about the weather in this area at that time off year. Has anyone here any experience of this area at the time off year we are planning our trip. Are we mad going to Ko Samui. It is our first time going to Thailand so should we maybe looking at a different part off the country. We both like a beach holiday with some good nightlife. But we would also like to have accommodation away slightly from the hustle for the odd relaxing night. Thank you for your time

#1 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 09:55

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm a bit of a weather nerd - been following Thailand weather info and sites, reading posts on the weather and visiting Thailand in wet season (dry season too) for years.
    The bad news is that statistically Nov is Samui's wettest month averaging 490mm and 20 days on which SOME sort of rain falls. December is 3rd wettest with 211-14, rainfall tending to fall off as the month progresses.
    Prolonged rainy periods are not too common in Thailand, but I've noticed more posts complaining of these coming from Samui and surrounding areas at that time than anywhere or anytime else.
    But it aint all bad - my only November visit to Samui was in 97 and I got GREAT weather - heaps of sunshine and maybe a storm, mostly at night, every 3rd day. But that's weather. Next year I was in the eastern Gulf same time and there was a stream of people coming from the southern Gulf complaining of constant rain, flooded roads, cancelled ferries etc.

Alternatives - well the wet season has usually ended in the Andaman in late Nov, so you could check travelfish's sections on say Koh Lanta where several beaches will give you a combination of laid back/close to nightlife. Maybe start with Long Beach.

But also check his pages on Ko Samet, reputably the driest island in the Thailand - the monsoon seems to quit earlier in the eastern Gulf - Ao Tubtim (aka Ao Putsa or Pudsa) is a real nice relaxed beach with 3 good nightlife beaches starting 10 minutes walk to the north - the most distant maybe 2O minutes walk.
    travelfish gives good reviews to Tubtim Resort - when I was at the beach in February they were building some very nice looking upmarket bungalows towards the headland, with good views north up the beach and towards the other beaches at the north of the island.

#2 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 12:39

• arthurfi

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2008

Thank you for your reply. The info you have given is very helpfull.

#3 Posted: 7/5/2008 - 12:42

• travelshaped

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2008

Hello guys

I was in Samui Nov last year and it was totally flooded! For more reliable weather, head to the west coast - Phuket or Krabi.
    If you want a nice place for your honeymoon, check out www.jasmineholidays.co.uk which has great boutique hotels and honeymoon ideas.

OK - it's a bit of a plug for our company but if you want any advice on any of the hotels on there or places to go, just give us a call - no hard sell.. promise! (We've seen all the hotels in Thailand pretty much so we can point you in the right direction)

#4 Posted: 9/5/2008 - 22:11

• 2face

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

arthurfi,

First off, CONGRATULATIONS to you and the future
    Mrs. arthurfi!

Also, you got a terrific post from tezza! One thing that stuck in my craw while reading it was the comment 'prolonged rain periods are not too common....'

This is quite true.

Generally, it starts dumping down at 3:05pm and
    eases up around 3:15, like clockwork. Shortly thereafter, the clouds will have parted and
    everyone is back on their merry way.

Koh Samui is a great choice! I think your choice is an excellent one:

If I can more of my two cents (12% less for inflation during this troubled times), considering your needs--near enough to the action, though not that far to get away from it all--Koh Samui is a good spot, so why not make the possibility of some rain part of the holiday experience?

If you do, book in advance for Samui, though. Hotels can get full there, especially in Dec.

Probably not a concern, but expect to pay a premium at Samui, versus other sites like Krabi - which is also
    a lovely spot. (Samui for 15 quid a night? Something like this.)

Also, don't forget to hop over by a short boat ride
    to the nearby smaller islands.

I would also recommend not catching a connecting flt. from BKK to Samui, but take the quite romantic overnight train ride down to Surat Thani. (Leaves Bangkok at 6pm - arrives at 7am.)

Once in Surat Thani, it's a short bus ride to the little port, and then a 3-hour boat ride to Samui.

Wonderful for a honeymoon!

Yes, if it's your first time to Thailand, and you've given yourselves some time, definitely take the train down. Really easy to do; no hassles.

Fly back, though, Samui to BKK. And hopefully connect with your flight back home.

Hope this helps. Toodle-oo...and, have a great trip!

#5 Posted: 10/5/2008 - 00:30

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

use the Travelfish weathermap for comparison.

I've been on Samui in Nov to Jan many times and if I was to go there in those months, I'd take a 4WD with me....only because the intermittent heavy showers usually cause flash flooded and mud slides which are a pain if you're trying to get anywhere.

#6 Posted: 15/5/2008 - 14:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.