Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where to stay for a month?

• Anderson85

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2008

We (father and two sons)are looking for a local in which to spend a month or more just living in Thailand and as a base to explore the surrounding area. We are on a moderate budget and we would like to rent a 3 bedroom self-contained house. We will be in Thailand June 23.

We are partial to the ocean but not avid beach people. As long as its quiet (what I want), some night life nearby would be nice (21 and 17 year olds are part of group).

We would appreciate any advice on locations, help with how to rent accommodation and any other advice. Thanks, Andy

#1 Posted: 7/5/2008 - 04:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's a pretty broad question! If you're looking to use Thailand as a hub, flying to neighbouring countries, then Phuket and Samui are prime contenders -- and have stacks of real-estate options. Other options could include Hua Hin or Pattaya.

#2 Posted: 7/5/2008 - 13:02

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Very vague Andy. As it's your first time in Thailand I think you'd be wise checking into a hotel first and seeing whether you like the place rather than booking a whole month in advance.

Have you thought about WHY you actually need a self contained house just for a month? Lots of people stay for a month in beach huts or guest houses. It's actually cheaper to eat out than prepare your own food in Thailand and you get discount rates for long term stays in guest houses.

Just a thought.

#3 Posted: 7/5/2008 - 17:53

• Anderson85

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2008

Sorry about the vagueness - first time travelers.

We want to experience living in Thailand and thought that renting "self-contained" would give us that and it would be more cost efficient for three adults on a pooled budget than alternatives. Is this the best way to go?

If so, any suggestions on where to locate and how to rent self-contained accommodation would be greatly appreciated.

I greatly appreciate all advice. Thanks, Andy

#4 Posted: 8/5/2008 - 01:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Renting a house is not a bad idea at all, but I'd be a little wary of paying in advance and finding yourself stuck somewhere that you might not like for a whole month.

What I find rather vague are the "using it as a base to explore the surrounding area" and "experience living in Thailand" bits. Are there any particular things you interested in seeing and doing?

In June the best weather is probably going to be on the Gulf coast. Although there are probably a lot more options for house rental on Samui, there are some rental properties on Ko Tao and Ko Phangan too.

Unless someone can recommend a particular villa you're going to have to look around and find somewhere suitable yourself once you get there though. I'd recommend looking at places a little inland rather than right on the beach...they'll be cheaper and quieter. I saw some rental houses on Ko Tao a couple of years ago which might suit...about 1km inland from Sairee beach where there's night life for your sons. Not sure how many bedrooms those particular houses have though. I think they were going for about 10K/month at the time, so maybe 15K now.

I'm not sure if it's the same for rented holiday houses on the islands, but in BKK you pay electricity and water on top of the rent. Beware of using A/C too much if you have it, that will REALLY push up costs if you're paying the electricity bills!

#5 Posted: 8/5/2008 - 04:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.