Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

hostel vs. hotel in thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai)

• yqiang

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2008

Hi everyone,
    2 friends and I are going to be visiting Thailand in the first week of August this year. We're all really excited but there is one small caveat. I am rather adventurous and am really looking forward to staying in a hostel. My friend and his girlfriend however have reservations. They think

a) It will be really hot and uncomfortable
    b) It will be unsafe (things will get stolen)

I think they're probably right that it might not be the same experience as staying in a western style hotel but I feel that the opportunity to meet fellow travelers far outweighs that aspect.

What do you guys think about the safety issue? Is there any data available I can use to convince them that it's actually not too bad?

Thanks!
    Yi

#1 Posted: 9/5/2008 - 09:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Yi,

Most guesthouses will have some kind of security box or safe that valuables can be stored in -- use it.

There's plenty of guesthouses with air-con, so there's no need to be hot and uncomfortable.

As you say there's always a risk of theft, but I think the chances are really quite low, and, as you say there's the added benefit of meeting other travellers etc.

#2 Posted: 9/5/2008 - 10:13

• jchang

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2008

Hi Yi,
    You're looking for data on guesthouse security? I don't think there is any. But u can always show them the online reviews made by other travellers. These reviews can be found here on Travelfish or other backpacker guides. Overall, I agree security is not an issue.

And yep, guesthouses can be really comfortable. Some even come with TVs and fridge. Just do your research and pick a good one.

#3 Posted: 19/5/2008 - 19:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Good, cheap, Bangkok hotel / hostel ... By adammcintyre on 28 Aug 2012 6 3415 31 Aug 2012
free wifi bangkok guesthouse cheap nice good rent private room hotel Khao san road hostel backpacker ... By bluefinGh on 21 Jun 2014 0 337 21 Jun 2014
A newly renovated boutique hostel: HQ Hostel Bangkok, Silom Road. ... By archpop on 23 Jun 2008 0 3792 1 Nov 2008