Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Air Conditioning Needed on Islands during Summer?

• Anderson85

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2008

We are "temperate weather" inclined. Should we look for a bungalows with AC during June/July/August? Or, is the evening cool-off, daytime breeze and overhead fan sufficient? Thanks, Andy

#1 Posted: 11/5/2008 - 05:46

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, I personally have aircon year round over that side of the world. You might like a fan and the sea breeze but i think that a fan just blows hot air on you (like a hair dryer!)

Lets see what some others think.

:)

#2 Posted: 11/5/2008 - 07:07

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I think it depends a little on the building and where it is. In my experience concrete buildings are hotter than traditional bamboo huts, especially on the beach where there's usually a breeze coming off the sea. Bamboo huts may be less luxurious but there's more air circulation.

I find it's often cool enough inside a bamboo huts the islands to really need a blanket in December and January. June July August are warmer of course but not the absolute hottest season which is around April just before the rains start.

Rain cools things down a little and is actually quite welcome sometimes!

#3 Posted: 11/5/2008 - 07:32

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I personally carry an A/C unit in my backpack at all times....you never know when it might come in handy....and electricity's free isn't it?

#4 Posted: 11/5/2008 - 08:02

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Electricity isn't necessarily free if you're renting a house or an apartment which is what Andy has said he's planning on doing...

#5 Posted: 11/5/2008 - 15:18

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Duh! Really!!!!

#6 Posted: 11/5/2008 - 18:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.