Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Air Conditioning Needed on Islands during Summer?

Posted by Anderson85 on 11/5/2008 at 05:46

We are "temperate weather" inclined. Should we look for a bungalows with AC during June/July/August? Or, is the evening cool-off, daytime breeze and overhead fan sufficient? Thanks, Andy

#1 Anderson85 has been a member since 7/5/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 11/5/2008 at 07:07

Hi, I personally have aircon year round over that side of the world. You might like a fan and the sea breeze but i think that a fan just blows hot air on you (like a hair dryer!)

Lets see what some others think.

:)

#2 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by SBE on 11/5/2008 at 07:32

I think it depends a little on the building and where it is. In my experience concrete buildings are hotter than traditional bamboo huts, especially on the beach where there's usually a breeze coming off the sea. Bamboo huts may be less luxurious but there's more air circulation.

I find it's often cool enough inside a bamboo huts the islands to really need a blanket in December and January. June July August are warmer of course but not the absolute hottest season which is around April just before the rains start.

Rain cools things down a little and is actually quite welcome sometimes!

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by khunwilko on 11/5/2008 at 08:02

I personally carry an A/C unit in my backpack at all times....you never know when it might come in handy....and electricity's free isn't it?

#4 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by SBE on 11/5/2008 at 15:18

Electricity isn't necessarily free if you're renting a house or an apartment which is what Andy has said he's planning on doing...

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by khunwilko on 11/5/2008 at 18:25

Duh! Really!!!!

#6 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.