Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Older tourists in Thailand?

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I want to see Thailand next Feb, but I'm not into the beach scene or a great deal of trekking. I want to see the country outside of Bangkok - where should I concentrate on?

#1 Posted: 14/5/2008 - 23:05

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Daawgon,

If you aren't interested in the beach or a trek, then I'd recommend a few favorite destinations such as Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, Chiang Mai (still great sans trekking), Sukhothai and Nong Khai. All of those places are easily accessible, budget friendly, and offer a variety of things to see and do. Ayutthaya and Sukhothai are particularly great for ancient ruins, while Kanchanaburi has lots of outdoor stuff to do.

What types of things are you specifically looking to do? Cheers.

#2 Posted: 15/5/2008 - 02:07

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Thanks Exacto - That's just what I was looking for. I'm just exceedingly curious and I want to see as much as possible, but there is so very much travel data on Thailand that it's really hard to pick and choose. You've given me a great start, and now I can plan an itinerary.

#3 Posted: 15/5/2008 - 07:56

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I wouldn't worry about finding something "age appropriate" for you to do in Thailand. Last week I met a guy who was 86 traveling around Thailand and having a ball. When I met him he was in Pattaya.

First, choose a hotel in Bangkok that is near the Skytrain. The Skytrain is an overhead rapid transit system that can take you around the city quick and easy. I prefer the Sukhumvit area, but Siam is okay too! Khao San Road area is for kids and without any connection for the Skytrain.

Travel agencies handle the tour bookings. Find the nearest travel agency (there are hundreds of them) and check out their menu selection of tours. River Kwai, dinner cruises, Floating Market, Safari World, etc. are some of the tours offered. The tour company picks you up at your hotel and returns you there at the end of the tour. Mostly riding in vans, a small amount of walking that you can sit out if you want, you will be in company with other tourists of all ages.

If you go to Chiang Mai you will find the same travel agency tour arrangements there too. In Chiang Mai you can visit the Golden Triangle, visit hill tribes and see the Long Neck Ladies.

Don't let a little age get you down, I run into many expats who have retired in Thailand. Even some drawing old age pensions or social security benefits and enjoying themselves. Their money goes a little more than back home in their own countries.

When you are on the road away from your hotel make sure you have some hand-wipe things in your bag along with some toilet paper. Some places you stop at may not have any TP available.

If you have eyeglasses and meds make sure you have the prescriptions written down somewhere. This way if you break your glasses or run out of meds you can get some on your trip. For the meds get the generic names for the meds not just the brand names.

You will have a ball in Thailand. Just take it nice and easy and everything will be okay.

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 20/5/2008 - 04:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.