Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best place to get open water diving - Koh Phi phi?

• janujanu

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2008

I want to get my open waters diving certification. I was thinking of heading towards Phi phi as I've already been to Koh Tao last year. Does anyone recommend any other place in the area for diving?? I'm looking for a place where I can chill out for 4-5 days, where I can find good diving centers and not be be too isolated as I'm traveliing solo and would like to meet other travellers.

Cheers.

#1 Posted: 18/5/2008 - 20:05

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I was on Koh Lanta in March which is south of Phi Phi. This is a little more quiet than Phi phi and has excellent diving. I had two full days diving and there was a number of people getting their tickets. I used Lanta diving which I found to have competitive prices good quality hire gear and top spots to dive at.No matter where you choose you are best to do your course at a 5 star IDC Centre. These have the highest accreditation from Padi so from a safety angle is my preference where ever I dive.
    Regards
    Swag

#2 Posted: 19/5/2008 - 12:52

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

janujanu, I can recommend you to stay on Phuket. You can take daytrip to Phi-Phi and other beautiful divesites. Personally me after getting my OWD certification take my first "certified" dive at King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point and Koh Doc Mai. There is also good sites: Anemone reef, Racha islands etc.
    Near Phi-Phi you can dive at Maya bay, Koh Bida Nok, Viking's cave.
    Also you can take 2-3-5 day safari to Similan archipelago and possible Surin island + Koh Tachau + Richelieu Rock.
    For accommodation in Phuket you can select either quite beach ("chill out") or center of night life :)

#3 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 14:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Open Water Trip Report ... By SBE on 16 Mar 2010 5 3253 5 Nov 2010
PADI Open Water Thailand December ... By smokyjoe on 24 Aug 2012 0 1506 24 Aug 2012
Do you think I should open a hotel in such place? ... By dha6892 on 10 Aug 2010 6 1222 10 Aug 2010
bangkok place to stay open late? ... By em22 on 26 Aug 2009 2 1855 27 Aug 2009