Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which island for arrival in early June?

• newmmie

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2008

My friend and i are trying to figure out which island/beach area to go to in early June. We are into beautiful beaches and sunny weather, laid-back, fun nightlife (no full moon parties please) and some local flavor. We are both 30-something and looking to end our trip through Thailand, Laos and Cambodia on a relaxing and fun note without a frat party or honeymoon vibe. Would love to hear suggestions on location particularly given the season and the fact that we will likely be arriving via Phuket due to our flights. Should we change to eastern beaches or will we be okay on the Andaman side. Thanks to any and all who can offer some suggestions!

#1 Posted: 19/5/2008 - 21:56

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There's an interactive weathermap showing rainfall statistics on this site which should help.

Local flavor will be hard to find but maybe Ko Phangan would fit the bill....on beaches away from Had Rin of course. Ko Tao is another option. Travelfish has excellent info on both islands (plus those on the Andaman coast)

It might be best to see what the weather is doing this year when you get there. Booking ahead is unnecessary unless you need upmarket accommodation.

#2 Posted: 19/5/2008 - 22:24

• newmmie

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2008

Thanks SBE, this site IS extremly helpful so I will look into it. It's more from the perspective of a) planning flights into and out of (we are arriving from Siem Reap and then leaving via Bangkok) and b) where we will get the best weather/beautiful beaches. Are you recommending we should pursue the Gulf side vs the Andaman side? Thank you!

#3 Posted: 19/5/2008 - 22:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Early June is pretty wet on the Andaman Coast -- I'd certainly consider spending the bulk of the island time on the east coast rather than the west. See the Thai weather map mentioned by SBE for more info.

#4 Posted: 20/5/2008 - 08:46

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

This is a copy of my answer to a similar question on page 2:

In June normally all Thailand except the southern Gulf is in monsoon. The southern Gulf (Samui and neighbours plus adjacent mainland coast) usual wet season is Oct into Jan. I have had some great holidays there mid year - lots of sunshine, a few good storms.

June is normally not the worst of the wet season most other places - Sept and OCt tend to be wetter. I know one Phuket expat says the real wet season does not start until sometime in July. I have had good holidays both midyear and in August in the Andaman. Usually plenty of sunshine, one or more showers/storms per day, quite a few days with no rain or rain only at night, prolonged rainy periods not real common.

"Anywhere I should avoid?".
    Well the eastern Gulf around Trat/big Ko Chang is often REAL wet in June - the AVERAGE is over 900mm for the month - I'd hate to be there in a wetter than normal June. For comparison, I think London averages something in the 400s for a YEAR.
    Nevertheless I've seen plenty of posts from Chang in mid-year talking of good holidays - looks like they still get a fair bit of sunshine, but when it rains it REALLY rains.
    I've also seen a number of posts talking of PEOPLE DROWNING in big surf on Chang. All the main beaches face east into the prevailing winds - when these blow hard for a few days you can get big surf with dangerous rip currents, so take care. Maybe you could read my TIPS ON NOT DROWNING PAGE in travelfish's HEALTH SECTION.
    The Rayong area is also extra wet at around 700mm. I think the tourist attractions there,Ko Phayam and little Ko Chang Andaman side largely close down in the wet season.

BTW, the central Gulf, Ko Samet, Pattaya and Bangkok often get less rain than most areas besides the southern Gulf in June.

#5 Posted: 20/5/2008 - 13:09

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

As to what beach, I reckon Thong Nai Pan, Hat Sadet, Mae Hat, Bottle Beach on Phangan would do the job real well.
    Others? - in the link on my sigline below I talk about several little bays in the south west of Ko Tao which are real laid back with some nice places.
    In the Andaman I can't think of a much better place than one of travelfish readers' favourites, Toh Koh Resort on its own little beach on the sheltered coast of Phi Phi. A similar place a bit upmarket (flashpacker) just to the north, Relax Resort, also gets good reviews.
    Ko Samet relatively close to Bangkok is one of the drier non-southern Gulf islands in June - I really like Ao Tubtim (aka Putsa, Pudsa) - read travelfish's report on Tubtim Resort. I stayed at Pudsa Bungalows which aint bad either.

#6 Posted: 20/5/2008 - 13:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Early morning arrival - what to do? ... By spareword on 18 Apr 2010 1 3839 3 May 2010
Early AM Arrival Question ... By ContraKindle on 2 Jan 2011 8 2326 2 Jan 2011
S.E.A early june ... By matt89 on 18 Jun 2009 0 1202 18 Jun 2009
Would u stay around KL International Airport / LCCT a night for early departure / late arrival? ... By travissaw on 20 May 2012 4 2566 9 Aug 2012
what beach in thailand- early june ... By cynko on 24 May 2007 2 2265 2 Jun 2007