Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Overnight train to Chang Mai

Posted by michmich11 on 24/5/2008 at 05:58

Is this a recommended method of travel? Anyone done it before?

#1 michmich11 has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 19

Posted by exacto on 24/5/2008 at 09:38

mich,

read the feature story called "how do i catch a train in thailand?" for some basic info on the overnight trains to chiang mai and elsewhere. you'll find it at http://www.travelfish.org/feature/82

one travelfish member did recently note that several state railway of thailand sleeper cars had to be pulled from service due to problems with bugs, but i don't know if any were on the BKK-CM route or not and either way suspect that the problem may have already been addressed by now.

i've taken upwards of 40 overnight trains on various trips through thailand. it's an interesting experience where getting there is half the fun. i'd say it is at least worth a try. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by petrouschka on 25/5/2008 at 19:20

We took the night train to Chiang Mai with our children last summer. I made a reservation by internet before my holiday in Thailand and I received my tickets by letter. But you can also by the traintickets at the railwaystation what we did afterwards. We had a great time in the train. The hostess was a really nice persons and we met many different people traveling this way. Everybody was very nice. Great service, but not very clean for european standards. But we didn't mind. And the countryside in the morning is great to see from the train!

#3 petrouschka has been a member since 8/4/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by morse96 on 12/12/2011 at 15:05

I got on it last year and i would def recommend not only are you saving money on accomadation youve got the whole day for sightseeing. Im planning on spending my day in lopburi and then getting the sleeper from there this yr

#4 morse96 has been a member since 11/12/2011. Posts: 27

Posted by morse96 on 12/12/2011 at 15:08

I got on it last year and i would def recommend not only are you saving money on accomadation youve got the whole day for sightseeing. Im planning on spending my day in lopburi and then getting the sleeper from there this yr

#5 morse96 has been a member since 11/12/2011. Posts: 27

Posted by morse96 on 12/12/2011 at 15:08

#6 morse96 has been a member since 11/12/2011. Posts: 27

Posted by inspiredbykrissi on 18/12/2011 at 21:49

Trains are the best form of travel in India and they are abysmal, yet fun. The trains here leave them standing. Travelling from Chiang Mai to Bangkok you have two options: Trains that take a little longer, and more expensive, but much safer or you have buses that are cheaper, more regular and less need of booking in advanced.

Safe travels :)

#7 inspiredbykrissi has been a member since 9/12/2011. Posts: 68
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by whereisjenny on 20/12/2011 at 00:33

I just did that train route in 2nd class. It was quite nice. The beds left much to be desired, but sitting between the cars and watching the scenery go by was pretty awesome...

I bought my ticket the day before and had trouble finding a place that had a bed available... so I suggest getting your ticket 2-3 days in advance.

The food on the train sucks and is expensive so bring your own or grab something at one of the stops.

#8 whereisjenny has been a member since 18/12/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by turbot on 20/12/2011 at 02:28

Last year I had the best train journey of my life - from BKK to Nong Khai.
The restaurant car was full of travellers and Thais (including the train staff), dancing to heaving (terrible) Thai disco and drinking large Singhas. Everyone was smiling. You had to be there....

I am doing the BKK Chiang Mai trip in about three weeks - If it's only a tenth as fun as the journey last year it will be worth it!

#9 turbot has been a member since 2/11/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by JohnnieWalker on 20/12/2011 at 14:23

Mich, there is also useful info on this under the newer topic entitled Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

#10 JohnnieWalker has been a member since 20/12/2011. Posts: 19

Posted by stoneman on 24/12/2011 at 04:05

I always take the overnight express train (2nd class aircon sleeper) between BKK and CM. Last year I took the train from BKK to Ayutthaya for 2 nights and then took the overnight train to CM. I agree, buy your ticket through a travel agent or at the train station 2-3 days in advance. I always have my dinner before I arrive at the train station and have a drink and some type of snack for the trip. I use earplugs to help me sleep. Comfortable enough and I agree, covers a nights accom.

#11 stoneman has been a member since 8/5/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 100

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.