Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

What is it with the three person rule in hotels

• gfong

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

I have been trying to book a room over the internet for my family of four but I keep encountering this situation where they will only take three people per room. Is this a hard and fast rule? This is not economical and besides I don't feel comfortable leaving my daughters in a separate room.

#1 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 08:29

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Surprised to hear of this problem.

I wonder which hotels you've been talking to and how you have been negotiating with them.

When Thai people go on holiday it is not uncommon for double figures to share one bungalow.....this may be only one room.
    it is possible that the resorts you have contacted may have a "No THai" policy or are worried about 4 adults sharing one room. however many resorts have bungalows with extra rooms and hotels have suites with 2 bedroom etc.

where are you planning to stay?

It sounds a bit like you haven't made yourself clear and the people at the other end can't be bothered to suggest any alternative options......I frequently encounter the "mai Mii" response (don't have) when the person can't be bothered to make the effort to process an unusual request. The truth is they probably DO have what you want...you just have to dig for it.

#2 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 09:28

• gfong

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

I was using services like Agoda.com and expedia.com to try to get a room in Bangkok. We are flying from Canada and there was an offer for US$79.00 per night at Centre Point Silom next to the river. The room is huge 66sq metres! I though that should give us more than enough space. I was informed that I needed to reserve two rooms at that price.
    I asked about their massive 90sq metre 1 bedroom unit $93.00. Again, they won't allow it. I will be travelling for two months in the region and I am starting to suspect that this three person rule is very common in the major cities.I certanly hope that this is not the case since I always look forward to a stop at a nice place once in a while after some hard travel. In searching these sites I found the same pattern in Hong Kong. I will check the other metropolitan areas next.

#3 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 17:04

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Speak/email some hotels direct and ask about suites not rooms.

#4 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 18:14

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I think that you have to explain that the two kids can share the same bed or something. Make sure that they understand that it is YOUR two kids and that they are too young to have private rooms. Tell the hotel you would be glad to pay for a separate pull out bed.

Understand that many hotels are afraid of having more than three adult people because the extra people use more soap, towels, hot water and in general make a bigger mess to clean up. There are visitors from some countries where it is normal for 5 guys to sleep together on the same bed. I guess they even use the same towels - blehhh!

Try this place, you won't have anything to lose. Perhaps only booking a few nights and then taking the time to check some other places out for better rates.
    Asia Hotel. It is right on a Skytrain stop. The Skytrain makes it easy to get around town. http://www.bangkok.com/asiabangkok/ Not many bars in this area too! Short walk to Phetchaburi Road where there are lots of street vendors, mini garment district (near Baiyoke Tower Hotel) and malls.

I use cheap hotels (with A/C, private toilet, hot water, maid service) and often notice families with children staying there. Perhaps you could take a cheaper place with adjoining rooms and end up paying the same rate. I could never handle being cooped up with kids in the same room for 2 months! Check out the Honey Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 19. Near shopping - no bars close to hotel. Asok Skytrain nearby. http://www.bangkokhotels.info/honey.htm

Final suggestion is an old hotel, close to Sukhumvit but not directly near any bars. This is a family type hotel that does not allow any women with their boyfriends to stay there, etc. Atlanta Hotel. They do screen their customers. They want a family reputation. Very cheap prices with TV, A/C, hot water, maid service, etc. Explain that you are a (married) family group and check out their best rooms. Malls nearby, close to Christian church. Close to Nana Skytrain stop.

Good luck.

#5 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 20:53

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Web page for the Atlanta Hotel. Disregard the link in "blue" that automatically comes up - it's wrong of course!

The Atlanta Hotel, Bangkok, better than you think!
    http://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/directions.php

#6 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 20:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.