Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phuket end of August beginning of September

• bliprogers

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Looking to do 10 days in Phuket (or Krabi or Phi-Phi!??)at end of August or maybe beginning of September and wondered if we would be ok with the weather. Looking for a chill out in nice surroundings but the possibility of having a "night out" if needed. We've done the travelling bit a few years back but now looking to chill by pool and dangle feet in clear waters.........

Any help on weather, cheap flights, good locations and accomodation would be gratefully received!!

Many Thanks

Matt

#1 Posted: 2/6/2008 - 22:57

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Matt,

August gets pretty wet in Phuket -- see our Thailand weather map to see what the weather is like each month.

#2 Posted: 3/6/2008 - 07:21

• attakwas

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Hi,
    looking for any advice on best ways to travel from Phuket to Ko Pha Ngan/Ko Tao whilst trying to maintain a balance between reliability, comfort and cost.
    Many Thanks,
    Dave

#3 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 15:43

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

MATT, August is wet season on Phuket but travel is usually okay - I've seen plenty of posts saying people had a good holiday with the usual daily mixture of one or a few showers/storms and sunshine/scattered cloud, some days with no rain.

This has been the pattern in all my wet season visits. The latest, last August, I was on Phi Phi and Phuket in what the newspapers called the wettest period for some years. In 15 days got 2 days virtually cloudless, about 2 where it rained more often than not (but these still had some sunny breaks and were not write-offs), and the rest were the normal mixture of one or a few showers, sun/scattered cloud. I had a great holiday. Check the uncredited shots on the 2 PP pages and 1 Phuket page in the link below, lots of sunshine in them. BTW, Phi Phi/Phuket and Krabi are within sight of each other, so weather patterns are similar.

The southern Gulf islands (Samui, Phangan, Tao) are usually real good in August - still well short of their normal wet season of Oct into Jan. It does rain, but sunshine usually dominates

The driest of the non-Southern Gulf islands tends to be Ko Samet near Bangkok. Most of Samet's beaches face east and are sheltered from the prevailing wet season winds which on the days when they get stronger can cause rough seas and blow a lot of flotsam and jetsom onto the beach.

The wettest are Big Ko Chang and neighbours + the Ranong area islands. Nevertheless I have seen plenty of posts from visitors to the former in the wet season saying they enjoyed themselves.

DAVE - if a flight to Surathani is too expensive, the most cost effective/comfortable is a bus there and then a ferry.
    An alternative is a bus to Chumpon and a ferry to Tao - shorter ferry trip, longer bus trip.
    Phuket bus station is in Phuket town abt 35km from the airport - all the buses pass abt 3km from the airport, so to save time you could get a taxi, motorcycle taxi out to the main road bus stop and wave down a bus - most have English and Thai destination script on the front.

#4 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 18:35

• akbrady

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2010

My fiance and I are looking to go to Thailand for our honeymoon in mid September. A friend suggested they really loved Krabi and surround (Railei) etc. I was hoping to do some snorkelling, sunbathing, and do a jungle day trip with elephants. Will we need rain coats if we go at this time of year? Would we be better off sticking to Ko Samui and the West of Thailand?

Alicia

#5 Posted: 21/4/2010 - 01:21

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

DAVE - my apologies in my above answer - thought you wanted Bangkok to Phangan not Phuket to Ko Pha Ngan/Ko Tao.

Basically you can fly to Samui and hop on Lombprayah or similar to Phangan/Tao or you can bus to Surathani and grab a ferry to either.

Both are normally reliable, comfort not bad on each although the quicker flight way is naturally less wearing. I'm afraid only you can balance the cost question.

Note most Surathani ferries leave from the Gulf piers about 50km east of the city itself. A combined bus/ferry ticket at Phuket bus station will get you there. The night ferries leave from the town pier, but despite being my favourite way of accessing the islands I would not say they were overly comfortable.

#6 Posted: 23/4/2010 - 10:24

• mrlewis1

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2010

I'm planning a surprise birthday trip to Thailand for my wife...mid-September, like Alicia and her Fiance. Do you think weather would be better on the West side, say Phuket or another island or on the East side, say Koh Samui? We're looking for luxury hotels.

#7 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 21:04

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Weather usually better on the Samui side Sept - normally the wet season there does not kick in until around Oct.
    Samui has a host of luxury hotels and quite a few of them go into off-season pricing Sept, not because of the weather like the other side of the peninsula, but because all the Euros and Yanks go home.

#8 Posted: 26/4/2010 - 17:48

• RichardPhuk-
    et

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Matt, the best time for traveling to Phuket or the rest of Thailand would be from November to March. If you travel between the other months, chances are high that you’ll just get stuck inside your hotel room, not able to go anywhere because of the heavy rain. Hopefully I helped you a little bit.

#9 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 15:32

• EmmaBriggs23

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2011

Hi

myself and my boyfriend are going to Thailand in September also. We plan on going down to Ao Nang on the 14th September for 2 nights, then over to Phi Phi for 4 nights. Have read some people say that there are no ferry's over to Phi Phi in the Wet season, or that the sea can be to rough so you cant get over. Wandering if anyone has had any experience in September?

Thanks Emma

#10 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 20:10

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand in 14 days at the beginning of September ... By ruzickaf on 2 Jun 2008 2 4126 13 Jun 2008
koh samui or koh lanta in beginning of september? please help! ... By swetez on 4 Sep 2008 5 4818 5 Sep 2008
Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao end of July/beginning of August anyone? ... By helfet on 16 Jul 2011 1 2257 27 Jul 2011
Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao end of July/beginning of August anyone? ... By helfet on 17 Jul 2011 4 1889 1 Apr 2014