Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Taking Buddha Statues out of Thailand

Posted by chaytiong on 3/6/2008 at 10:27

hi all,
as the topic states, are there any policies against taking out statues, even newly purchased ones with receipt as proof and passing through customs or placing it in cargo? btw, i will be in Bangkok in August and would like to meet up with some of you then. I am going to purchase some new Buddha statues in Bamrung Muang Road, Bangkok. any of you here could provide some guide around would be much appreciated

cheers!
chaytiong
cct_cheah@hotmail.com

#1 chaytiong has been a member since 10/9/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by Tilapia on 3/6/2008 at 23:03

You won't have any problem taking the images out of the country unless they are antiques, have some historical significance, or are considered works of art. Most of the images sold on the streets, in markets, etc. aren't going to require any special permission or permits. You can just pack them up in your luggage. If you are considering purchasing something more significant, then you should check with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They have lots of info on how to take images out of the country.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by chaytiong on 4/6/2008 at 15:33

dear Tilapia,
thank you very much for your input. i will be purchasing new statues 2 the most and of about 16 to 18 inch ones depending on the capacity of my luggage. by the way if we could meet up when i am in bangkok, that would be great, if you are based there. feel free to e mail me and we will be in touch soon
cheers and thanks once again

#3 chaytiong has been a member since 10/9/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by Tilapia on 4/6/2008 at 19:36

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Canada and am not planning on being over there for another 6 months.

Enjoy your trip, and happy shopping.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.