Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Taking Buddha Statues out of Thailand

• chaytiong

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

hi all,
    as the topic states, are there any policies against taking out statues, even newly purchased ones with receipt as proof and passing through customs or placing it in cargo? btw, i will be in Bangkok in August and would like to meet up with some of you then. I am going to purchase some new Buddha statues in Bamrung Muang Road, Bangkok. any of you here could provide some guide around would be much appreciated

cheers!
    chaytiong
    cct_cheah@hotmail.com

#1 Posted: 3/6/2008 - 10:27

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You won't have any problem taking the images out of the country unless they are antiques, have some historical significance, or are considered works of art. Most of the images sold on the streets, in markets, etc. aren't going to require any special permission or permits. You can just pack them up in your luggage. If you are considering purchasing something more significant, then you should check with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They have lots of info on how to take images out of the country.

#2 Posted: 3/6/2008 - 23:03

• chaytiong

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

dear Tilapia,
    thank you very much for your input. i will be purchasing new statues 2 the most and of about 16 to 18 inch ones depending on the capacity of my luggage. by the way if we could meet up when i am in bangkok, that would be great, if you are based there. feel free to e mail me and we will be in touch soon
    cheers and thanks once again

#3 Posted: 4/6/2008 - 15:33

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Canada and am not planning on being over there for another 6 months.

Enjoy your trip, and happy shopping.

#4 Posted: 4/6/2008 - 19:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.