Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Singapore route

• craigwatson

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2008

Hi, me and two friends were planning on overlanding from Bangkok to Singapore in July. We have three weeks and around £500-600 to spend and would appreciate any advice on what would be a good route to take. We were originally planning on heading into Laos for a couple of days from Bangkok but having looked into it it doesn't seem worth the travelling time etc. We are completely open minded so would appreciate any suggestions that would fit into 3 weeks and see what in your opinion are the highlights of that particular route.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 5/6/2008 - 15:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Craig,

Well I assume some portion of the time will be in Malaysia, which isn't exactly my area of expertise, but I've been to the Perhentian islands and they were great, so if you were heading down the east coast of P.Malaysia then I'd def swing by there.

But then on the west coast Penang is great, but I'd expect the weather to be pretty crappy in July.

Back in Thailand, the silly islands stand out ( Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao ) if you dive, want to lay on a beach or plan a bit of partying, then July is good out there.

Otherwise -- looking for Thai flavour, Nakhon Si Thammarat is very local, totally Thai and can be fun, while other coastal towns are also pretty good value -- Prachuap Khiri Khan and Hua Hin spring to mind..

Yes I know, vague answers, but you didn't give too much away in your post about what your interests are... so ask away if you're more questions, plus take a look at the Suggested itinerary section (link in the right column) for some more starting points.

#2 Posted: 5/6/2008 - 19:12

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you want to start your journey south far off the beaten path, then I recommend heading from Bangkok to Samut Sakhon (Mahachai) on the single-line train. 10 baht, 1 hour, very interesting.

Mahachai is great. It's one of the only places in the country where bicycle rickshaws are a main form of transport. The train station is tiny, and the main street is LOADED with dry and fresh seafood markets. There is a superb and inexpensive seafood restaurant that overlooks the busy river and the unloading docks. Very cool spot! Very few foreigners.

You can cross the river on the the pedestrian ferry (2B), and walk to the train station on the other side, in Tha Chalom, and continue the train trip through the salt fields to Samut Songkhram. If you do, make sure that you make your train connection.

You can stay there and visit the floating market if you want (go VERY early if you do), or you can continue down to Phetchaburi. From there you can follow the coast south stopping in the places that Somtam mentioned if you like.

I'd add a couple more places on your way south. One is Khao Sam Roi Yot, and the other is Khao Sok. Both worth stopping at.

Happy Trails.

#3 Posted: 6/6/2008 - 03:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
the 'bangkok to singapore' route, then... ... By catisfaction on 16 May 2006 1 906 16 May 2006