Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ayutthaya to Khao Yai

• rosandjohn

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2008

I'd like to get from Ayutthaya to visit Khao Yai National Park and then pick up a bus or train to Aranya Prathet. Is it best to go via Pak Chong to the north or Prachin Buri to the south? Transport ideas would be helpful, also a place to stay to visit KYNP with a guided tour. Many thanks

#1 Posted: 6/6/2008 - 18:26

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You could take the train back to Bangkok and switch trains and head straight to Prachinburi without leaving the station. Here's the link with the timetable for trains heading east to Aran.

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

Or, you could take the bus back to Morchit, and then hop on a bus heading for Prachinburi (leaves every hour), again without leaving the station. If you take the bus, you won't need to go all the way into Prachinburi, like you would with the train. Instead, you could ask to be let off at King Naresuan's Shrine. This is a roundabout on Highway 33 where the bus leaves the highway and heads south to Prachin. The bus almost always stops here to let people off. You can hop off here and find loads of taxis who will happily take you to the park. There were a few places to stay in that place last time I was there. It's an interesting little crossroad.

I'm not sure about this, but it may be possible to get to the park from Morchit. You may want to ask at Information.

You might also check some tour companies in Ayuthaya to see if any offer minivans to Khao Yai.

After Khao Yai, you can head into Prachinburi to catch the train (which is a very nice, but slow way to get to Aranyaphrathet), or to catch a bus to Aran. They leave often from Prachin. You can go to that roundabout again, on Highway 33, and get on a bus there. There are plenty of them. Highway 33 goes straight into Aran.

If you just catch a bus at the highway, you won't need to go all the way into Prachin, which is about 10-15 minutes south and out of the way.

I lived for a couple of years in Prachin and enjoyed it, but can't really recommend staying there due to a lack of accommodation. There's a hotel near the river, and maybe another one or two that I'm unaware of. If you do find yourself there for a night, make sure you visit the night market next to the river. There's not much else to do there. You will get a good dose of nice, curious folks, and typical Thai life in a dusty provincial capital, and that's never a bad thing.

#2 Posted: 6/6/2008 - 20:58

• rosandjohn

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2008

Thanks Tilapia. Instead of going back to Morchit is it possible to change buses somewhere, eg at Wang Noi. Where can we get tickets or do we pay on the bus?
    We were hoping to find a guesthouse near the southern entrance to Khao Yai rather than in Prachin - any recommendations?

#3 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 00:32

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Honestly, I have no idea about that. Your best source for this kind of info will be your guest house owner, or someone in the know at the Ayuthaya bus terminal. My guess would be that it is possible, but that it might involve a songthaew or two and a lot more time than going back to Bangkok, but it will probably be a lot more interesting, most definitely.

I really can't help you out with info regarding guest houses near the park entrance. Every time I went there I camped and never looked into that sort of thing.

Have fun.
    Mike

#4 Posted: 8/6/2008 - 00:28

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I was just thinking that you might be able to get there via Saraburi, which is a little north, but not as far out of the way as going back to Bangkok. Plus, you won't have the traffic to deal with.

Just a thought ...

#5 Posted: 8/6/2008 - 00:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.