Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Questions about Backpacking

• CharFlorica

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2008

Hello,

I have backpacked Europe before, and I know that we often left our packs in the hostel for the day whenever we went sightseeing. We always had our valuables with us in our daypacks when we were out and about.

I was just curious whether or not this is the same deal with Thailand and the such.I don't imagine it to be as safe, but I have no idea what so ever. Do you always carry your packs, or is it safe enough to leave it in the guest houses.

#1 Posted: 8/6/2008 - 05:13

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You'll find that it's not really an issue, and I think that you'll also find that it is just as safe as the average place in Europe, and perhaps more. It's unlikely that you'll be staying in dorms as most people get their own rooms which they can lock. Staying in the guest houses and inns of Thailand is nothing like staying in hostels in Europe. They are completely different experiences. You'll enjoy it.

#2 Posted: 8/6/2008 - 06:01

• CharFlorica

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2008

Awesome, I figured they were totally different adventures. I'm pretty excited. Thanks for your help!!

Do you have any recommendations regarding the weather? I'm planning May/June next year, and I want to do Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand. However; I do not know if there is one direction better than the other?

#3 Posted: 8/6/2008 - 10:52

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

There are really good weather maps on this site that will give you that kind of info, but you should get a good idea of what conditions are like right now (like, at that place at this very moment) just by checking sites like The Weather Network. I think that it's fairly safe to say that conditions will be hot and wet in most places.

#4 Posted: 8/6/2008 - 20:31

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

In May/June it will be very very HOT! If you went in April you could at least experience Songkran in the heat. ;)

#5 Posted: 14/6/2008 - 05:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

In May/June most of Thailand is in wet season, except the southen Gulf area (Phangan etc) which usually has a different wet season - Oct into Jan.
    Note June in wet areas is usually not considered a particularly wet month appart from maybe the big Chang and Ranong areas.
    May is kinda funny, if you look at travelfish's excellent interactive weather map you will see that most areas have a little blip of extra rain - but May most years still tends to be drier than Sept and October in most areas.
    If conditions are normal wet season you can look forward to plenty of sunshine/scattered cloud between one of a few shower/storms, prolonged rainy periods rare and for several days in the month with no rainfall at all (travelfish give stats for no-rain days - but even days with rain may have that rain only at night).
    Yep and it will be pretty hot.

#6 Posted: 14/6/2008 - 10:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.