Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travelling from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

• Ikkersheim

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2008

Hi all,

I will travel from Bangkok to Chaing Mai vice versa with to kids (15,17). Can you give me some tips on activities along the road because they are not that patient to see all the temples etc. After arrival we will stay 3 or 4 days in Bangkok. The question is will I go then straight away to Chiang Mai or via via? And if so via what route? Via Ayutthaya to Sukothai to Chiang Mai? Better to do this on the way back?
    The last week we will spent on the coast or an island. What is best to fly from Chiang Mai ti Koh Samui or go by train to Bangkok and trai, bus or plane from there.

Budget is partly an issue nut time as well.

Can you help me balancing?

Thanks in advance
    Donald

#1 Posted: 10/6/2008 - 18:10

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

How about Lopburi? Loads of monkeys all over town, and there's an excellent old marketplace. Plus, it's a great town to rent motorbikes in for exploring the countryside and nearby villages, and there are many.

Sukhothai is also a great stop and another great place to rent motorbikes in. You can rent bikes for about 120B/day and head up to Si Satchanalai through miles of lovely farmland with hills on the western horizon (leading to Tak ... or go to Tak). Si Satchanalai is only a couple of hours away, and well worth the trip. It's a great little community with a treasure chest of old temples scattered through the hills that hardly anyone visits. You can swim in the river there, surrounded by nothing but hills and the odd village.

I'm sure that there are plenty of inexpensive flight options to Samui, or at least from Chiangmai to Bangkok. Train-boat is always a possibility, too, and not expensive at all. Actually, going by train is a lot more fun.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2008 - 08:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good advice from Tilapia there.

We ran a story a while back on a homstay out from Ayutthaaya -- could be an interesting diversion for kids. You can read more about it here.

#3 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 19:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.