Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

one month stay in thailand, where?

• txolo

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2007

Hi there!

Me and my girlfriend are right now travelling around the world. We are a bit tired of changing place each 2 or 3 days, so we are thinking in going to Thailand and have a rest there for some weeks.

We are looking for some place simple, comfortable, and quiet. We don't want party around or noise. Just some silence. What we would like to have is some wi-fi or ADSL, that's all.

We would like to rent something for 3-4 or maybe weeks.

Maybe you know where is the place we are looking for.

#1 Posted: 12/6/2008 - 13:03

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Look into these places ...

- Trat
    - Nong Khai
    - Chiang Khan
    - Nan

#2 Posted: 12/6/2008 - 22:55

• txolo

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2007

Thanks for your reply!

Do you know the adress or website of some concrete place to stay? Like a guesthouse or apartments or whatever?

#3 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 10:29

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There are many, but the majority of places to stay will not be online. But you can try this one for the Chiang Khan Guest House. I have stayed there before and it's very nice.

http://www.thailandunplugged.com/index2.html

Chiang Khan is a great little town that sits on the Mekong in a very quiet, very beautiful area. It's hardly visited, and there are about 7 or 8 good guest houses that are almost always empty. No kidding! It's probably because the place is not known as exciting or energetic. What it is is quiet, easy-going, inexpensive, and a perfect spot to sit around and read for a couple of weeks. The most noise in the evenings will probably be the chanting monks in one of the temples.

I love the other places too for many of the same reasons, but they are all very different.

#4 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 20:50

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Tilapia,

Loved your suggestions, and wonder if you'd mind expanding on the other three options besides Chiang Khan too. For example, in Trat, would you stay in town or perhaps try to find an island for relaxing? etc. Do you have favorite and/or recommended places to stay in the other places too? That kind of stuff.

Cheers.

#5 Posted: 14/6/2008 - 08:53

• txolo

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2007

Hey Tilapia

Thanks for your suggestion, sounds very good. Are there internet places in the area? if we┬┤ve got internet aroun, we can work there. it is not the same as using your own laptop, but we've got usb...

How about prices?

Any reccomendation of similar places would be more than welcome!

#6 Posted: 14/6/2008 - 11:14

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sure, I can do that, but I won't be able to for a day or two. Too busy with gardening and Euro '08.

Back soon.
    Mike

#7 Posted: 14/6/2008 - 20:48

• txolo

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2007

Hey there

My girlfriend asks if do you know some place under 300 baht, quiet and close to the beach.

I prefer anyway the place you linked us, seems great to me. But it seems that the lady want some beach

#8 Posted: 16/6/2008 - 08:37

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Txolo ... yes, there is an internet place in Chiang Khan. I have never used it, but there is one. But, there is no beach nearby, only sandbars in the Mekong River. Same goes for Nong Khai. Good internet places, but no beach. Terrific views of the Mekong and Laos, though.

If you have to be on a beach, and it sounds like you do, then the only place I mentioned that would qualify would be outside of Trat, and there are plenty of places to choose from. I can't recommend any because I stay in the town of Trat, or on one of the islands when I'm there, and none of the places on the islands have (what I would call) good internet access (meaning affordable, fast, etc.).

It's probably better if you browse this site for info about places to stay near the water in and around Trat. But there are lots of nice coastal towns where you'd have both beach and internet access. You just have to decide what part of the country you want to be in.

Good luck.

#9 Posted: 18/6/2008 - 21:01

• txolo

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2007

Thanks again!

We will check there. Anyway my vote goes for the first place you said!

#10 Posted: 21/6/2008 - 17:28

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good luck finding a spot.

Regarding Chiang Khan ... go anyway. There are really nice spots all along the river between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai. Quiet little towns and villages, several with guest houses. For me, the area is just as good as any island when it comes to peace and quiet and a nice slow pace of life. Cheaper, too.

Enjoy.

#11 Posted: 21/6/2008 - 19:45

• txolo

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2007

Hey Tilapia, I write just to inform you that probably we will go to the first place you said in Chiang Khan, it seems very relaxing and thats what we want

Thanks for your help!

#12 Posted: 5/7/2008 - 22:05

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Txolo,

Really hope you enjoy yourselves there. I was going to post some photos but don't know how to paste them into this text box, so I'm attaching some links about Chiang Khan that outline what one can do, or not do there, as well as info on guest houses, transport, places to eat, etc. There are a few photos, too.

I've also included one for Sangkhom just in case you want to try another relaxing place along the river. Last time I went through Sangkhom I found that it had grown quite a lot since my previous visit there about 8 years ago. Not surprising, I suppose. Pak Chom, however, which is between Chiang Khan and Sangkhom, had not changed at all. Very interesting place. Superb views across the river.

I highly recommend renting a motorbike and traveling west along the Mekong to where it turns north, and where the Maenam Heuang (Hung River) empties into the Mekong, and then following the road along the Hung River. Lots of small Lao villages, gorgeous scenery.

Hope you get to relax.
    Mike

http://www.passplanet.com/thailand/chiang_khan.htm

http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php/2006/02/27/isaan_s_chiang_khan?blog=23

http://www.north-by-north-east.com/articles/07_04_1.asp

http://www.passplanet.com/thailand/sang_khom.htm

#13 Posted: 6/7/2008 - 23:23

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

ko jum has quiet beaches with cheap rooms. if you got bored not far to other islands and the mainland

#14 Posted: 22/7/2008 - 09:16

• submitth

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2010

Hello, u can see

At Booking Station, we offer genuinely lower rates and a high degree of service and reliability. We ensure that every visitor, either coming here for a business trip or vacation, will get the best service and accommodation while staying in Thailand.
    Make your booking for an ultimate value hotel in Thailand with us!

http://www.bookingstation.com/front/bangkok-thailand-hotels-accomodation.aspx

#15 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 12:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would recommend Nakhon Phanom. It has an airport, so no torturous train or bus ride. Sits right on the Mekong. That Phanom is a beautiful temple 50 klicks down river.

#16 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 12:06

• Xanne8

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2010

Try JL Bangkok, it's at Ramkhamheng, where it's not so touristy at all.

WorldFriends may be able to help you find local [url=http://www.worldfriends.tv]travel friends[/url].

#17 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 14:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand 2012/6 month stay ... By charlirabe on 11 Nov 2011 1 717 11 Nov 2011
3 Month Stay in Thailand based in one city ... By GarnetandGold on 9 Jan 2013 1 1394 10 Jan 2013
Thailand August 2012 6 month stay ... By charlirabe on 11 Nov 2011 3 1668 16 Nov 2011