Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai-American Shopper Verbally and Physically Assulted by Store Owner at MBK Mall- June 30th 2008

• MellyMel

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2008

Greetings all.

I am a travel writer who went shopping and was verbally and physically assaulted by a shop owner 2 days ago at the MBK shopping mall. I am writing this as a warning to travelers and shoppers on the many various levels of customer service in this country. Some shop owners in Thailand are very nice and helpful, while others are very rude and nasty, and to warn against supporting this kind of service, or therefore lack of.

First off I would like to state that I am Thai-American. I am very proud (although sometimes slightly culturally confused) to be 50% Thai and 50% American and respect what both cultures, in all their colorful contrasts, bring to my plate. However it is a sad day when one has difficult interactions with such contradictory behavior so prevalent in other parts of Thai cultures.

The difficult interaction: being verbally (first) the physically assaulted (second) by a store owner at the MBK mall 2 days ago.

The contradictory behavior: the idea of Thais being friendly welcoming people to foreigners - unless of course you look foreign, but can understand Thai you can hear all the horrid things people are saying about you or other foreign shoppers, which is what goes on among the majority of shop owners in MBK.

What started out with me shopping in the same shop more than once and not buying anything fast enough ended in the security office that afternoon. I have tried to write in short, the details of what went on… but after 3 attempts at writing a summary it is impossible.

The shop owner who attacked me is located on the first floor of MBK and is a small store located in the Mini Plaza area next about 3 meters from the Pratumwan Hall where the KFC is. They sells pricy clothes by the brand IO (the store being called TZ or PZ, don’t remember exactly) and will not so much look at you if you are wearing low-quality clothing. I highly recommend staying away from the stores MBK especially the stores in the MINI PLAZA part unless you want to be judged by the clothes you are wearing and then treated accordingly.

If anyone would like to personally hear my story of what happened please email me personally. I will forward you a detailed account of what happened. I am angry because No one came to my aide, and finally when security came they grabbed me and not the store owner. I addition to this they only heard the shop owners story and not mine. I am writing this so that maybe my voice can be heard as a protest to how shop owners are rudely treating tourists these days. This has not been the first account of bed sale practices I have seen in Thailand, but it has been the worst. WHY? Does a million dollar company like MBK not teach it’s sales people how to be nicer to the public? I think I would blame the integrity of MBK on this one.

Thank you for your time in reading this. If you have anymore inquiries would like to see documented photos of my cuts and bruises, or a map to the shop please feel free to contact me through this forum.

Sincerely,

-Melissa Sanborn.

#1 Posted: 3/7/2008 - 15:29

• Advertisement

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Cant help thinking if you are "half-Thai" and a "travel writer" , you surely must be used to how some Thai stall holders treat customers .

Why you then feel a need to then join this forum , and vent your frustrations here , baffles , and to be honest bores me .

Sincerely
    ChangFai

#2 Posted: 3/7/2008 - 18:00

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

'If anyone would like to personally hear my story of what happened please email me personally.'

Errr how? No PM function on here (I don't think) and unless I drank too much wine at lunchtime I can't see an email address.

Surprised it ended up in fisty cuffs. I've never seen that happen at MBK ... not that I spend an inordinate amount of time there if I can help it as I hate shopping malls with whole floors of mobile phones etc. Gets a bit much after about 20 minutes and I usually feel an irrepressible urge to leave.

As half Thai, I'd assume you know better than most Westerners the importance of *face* in Thailand so I'm quite curious as to how it ended up in not just verbal but physical abuse.

#3 Posted: 3/7/2008 - 23:05

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Travel Writer??? - in what language? Thai I hope!

#4 Posted: 4/7/2008 - 08:42

• paulspad2002

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2008

mm interesting, maybe they see u as american thai..or is it thai american...cud this potentially be the reason they set upon you....not to be racist but ive heard a few things about GI kids....and the racism abuse they have experienced....as i now live in bangkok i visit MBK on a more than regular basis.......have never heard nor seen anything like this in 2 years....im sorry for ur mis adventure and hope u get a full recovery soon....was anyone laughing to save face for u at all....maybe not....again sorry for ur troubled times

#5 Posted: 10/7/2008 - 01:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
24/F 30th June Thailand ... By JessyWest on 27 May 2012 4 705 18 Jun 2012