Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best way to get from Suvarnabhumi (new airport) to Khaosan (@1am)?

• jenniemcmar-
    tin

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2005

I've been to Thailand twice, but not since the new airport has been open. I wanted to know what is the best way to get from the airport to downtown, particularly if it is as hard as it was before to get the taxis to put their meters on.
    Also if there is a direct bus, or if the sky train now extends to their airport or not, that info would all be of great help.
    Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 4/7/2008 - 00:50

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Taxi all the way.

Easiest way to get the cab to put the meter on is to get a cab from the official taxi stand outside the arrivals terminal (don't take an official limo from inside the terminal).

You have to pay a 50B surcharge at the kiosk, then you pay tolls and what is on the meter. The driver will put the meter on. If they don't, get out and catch a different cab.

I don't think the buses work after midnight.

#2 Posted: 4/7/2008 - 06:42

• smartso

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2008

I think the easiest way to catch a cab (which I have done at many terminals) is to walk back up the ramp to the departures terminal and catch one that has just dropped someone off. I've found them much more likely to just go on the meter as they have just had a fare. If not, as Somtam mentioned just get out and into another. There should also be no real reason to take the toll highway at that time of night.

#3 Posted: 4/7/2008 - 14:20

• jenniemcmar-
    tin

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2005

Thanks you two!
    How would I go about asking to not take the Toll-ed highway (to say that in Thai maybe?)
    I like the idea of going to the departure entrance, good tip!
    I remember asking about 30 different cabs @ the airport to turn their meters on, with them replying VERY quickly, NO NO NO NO, shaking their hands. Haha, ahh Bangkok cab drivers, how sneeky you are.

#4 Posted: 4/7/2008 - 22:00

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

No Airport Express Bus after midnight.

I arrive around midnight all the time. I go through the arrivals hall and out to the curb area. There are 2 meter taxi desks probably one closer to door 2 and one closer to door 8. Last time through one of the meter taxi desks had a real long line and the other meter taxi desk only had a couple people in line - check the second place if one has a long line. (Next time through I am going to photograph the meter taxi desks, if I remember right the yellow ones were the more expensive ones and the dirty white meter desks were the "real" meter taxi desk.)

When you are at the right meter taxi desk the clerk will take your destination, tell the driver where you are going, he is also supposed to see that the meter is on 35 baht to start. The clerk will tell the drive meter only if you ask. You will have a slip that identifies the taxi and if you have a complaint the slip has his ID and a place to call or write - keep the slip!

Toll charges will be about 65 baht (one at 40 and one at 25 baht) you pay the toll during the ride. You pay the surcharge of 50 baht plus the meter fare at the hotel. Taxi prices are going up but the meter should still start at 35 baht.

At the old airport, when I couldn't catch the Airport Bus I would grab a cab dropping someone off at the departure level. I don't do that at the new airport, it is way out in the sticks. I think it is safer to use the meter taxi desk. I don't have any problem getting a meter taxi to use the meter.

Have small bills to pay the taxi if you want any change back. I take a taxi to and from Sukhumvit Road, near the Nana Skytrain. In the morning (0330) sometimes they take the toll road and sometimes they go on the regular highway. I leave it up to the driver, he knows which road is clear. No surcharge from in town to the airport, even at the early time I use a taxi from town I have no problems with a driver using the meter.

Have a good time in Thailand.

#5 Posted: 5/7/2008 - 02:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Khaosan Park Resort, Khaosan Road, Bangkok ... By khaosanpark on 25 Apr 2010 1 2122 1 May 2010
Suvarnabhumi airport ... By viacc65 on 3 Jun 2007 2 2474 4 Jun 2007
Suvarnabhumi Airport to bus for Kanchanburi ... By ano_1 on 2 Jan 2010 6 2035 3 Jan 2010
Suvarnabhumi Airport updates ... By somtam2000 on 31 Aug 2006 1 1586 6 Sep 2006
Samui to Hua Hin // Hua Hin to Suvarnabhumi Airport ... By jasminsingh on 15 Oct 2007 2 3374 19 Oct 2007
Suvarnabhumi airport, continue to LP ... By Architeuthis on 2 Nov 2009 4 1934 3 Nov 2009
Suvarnabhumi Airport Overnight ... By Yun on 22 Oct 2007 11 5681 28 Oct 2007
Hotels near Suvarnabhumi Airport ... By erinzita on 25 Mar 2008 4 2862 6 Dec 2013
Suvarnabhumi Bangkok Airport ... By luisella7748 on 27 Oct 2012 1 1678 1 Nov 2012
Suvarnabhumi Airport to China town ... By g_singh on 12 Sep 2007 7 3786 13 Sep 2007