Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bankok Airport to Khoa San Road

• Loena

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2008

Hi all,

This is my first oveaseas trip on my own, very excited! I want to know how far Khoa San Road is from Bankok airport. Also, do i need a visa to get into Thailand? I'm from Australia if that hepls.

Thanks.
    Peace and love to all.

#1 Posted: 10/7/2008 - 07:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish Loena,

There was a recent discussion about bangkok to KSR here so you might want to give that a read.

Also this story summaries Bangkok's new airport.

For visas, for an initial stay of not more than 30-days you do not need a visa for Thailand, but if you're staying longer, a tourist visa is the recommended option.

#2 Posted: 10/7/2008 - 10:04

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

For your country (and the US, Canada, UK and many EU countries, you will get a free 30 day stamp in your passport which is like a "Visa on Arrival." If you intend to stay longer you can opt for a different type visa that you pay for. But, if you intend to visit another country such as Laos, Malaysia or elsewhere do that trip before the 30 days runs out. On your return to Thailand you can get another free 30 days. There are limits of no more than 90 days this way out of a 180 day period.

From the airport you have several choices. Meter taxi is probably what you have to use after midnight. If you arrive during the day hours up to just before midnight you can use the Airport Express bus. The Airport Express bus kiosk is located near door 8 bottom level. Price was 150 baht a month ago. There is a bus to Khao San Road area, Sukhumvit and a couple other places. This bus gets you near your hotel and you lug your bag the rest of the way.

If there are 2 or more in your party then a meter taxi may come out close the same price for door to door service in half the time of any bus.

Also, there is a small bus station located on the airport grounds and they do have a cheap city bus into town. To get to that transportation center you have to take a free shuttle bus. The meter taxi and Airport Express bus leave direct from the terminal not the little bus station. For some places you would still have to take a meter taxi to continue your ride to your hotel.

Have a good trip.

#3 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 02:03

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

When you take a taxi in town tell the driver "meter only" and the fare will be cheaper than bargaining the price. Wave a moving meter taxi over, parked taxi's often want to bargain the fare and you pay more.

Meter taxi cabs are cheaper than tuk-tuks and safer.

Have small bills for paying taxi fares, driver often claims he cannot change a 500 baht note and expects you to stupidly say "keep the change!"

Bus ride from airport is around an hour. Taxi ride is around half that time.

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 02:28

• gijsvanpelt

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2008

i would go by taxi, it will save you half the time, but is more exprensive, but after a long flight I wouldn't look down for a couple of dollars, taxi is about 350 incl. toll fare and the bus wil be 150.

A nice place to stay in bangkok is lamphu house right off KS road. It is not your lowest option, but they still have about 400 baht rooms, nice and safe place!!!

Enjoy ur trip

#5 Posted: 27/7/2008 - 04:39

• cookiepower

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2008

i totally agree with staying in lamphu house get a fan room and shared bathroom it is one of the best 395 baht a night i paid and i am definitely staying there when i go back in a few months and they have a very good flip flop stall next to it i brought the most comfortable flip flops ever black teva ones which got stolen one full moon in koh phangan. oh well only 3 months till i get to buy more ; )

#6 Posted: 30/7/2008 - 18:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Late night transportation from airport to Khoa San Road area ... By creativeguy on 19 Nov 2006 6 2924 2 Dec 2011
Advice on a doctor near the Khoa San Road please ... By GillMum on 4 Jul 2010 6 4699 12 Jan 2013
From Peninsula Hotel to Khoa San Road ... By brinner on 25 May 2009 3 1564 26 May 2009
Phuket airport to Khoa Lak transportation cost? ... By W_Sobchak on 4 Oct 2010 3 4492 6 Oct 2010