Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

first time in Chang Mai - want to see all the best sights etc

• aimee1986

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2008

Hi, a friend and me are travelling to Thailand on 20th August and plan to go to chang mai for 5-7 days.

This is our first time so we want to make sure we don't miss anything and want the best experience!

We want to see all the sites: e.g. waterfalls, tribes, temples, elephant rides, river cruise, golden triangle, and markets...

My friend found this site that does tours of chang mai and it looks really good: http://travelhubchiangmaitours.com/chiang_mai_package_tours/6day_complete_north_tour.htm

For only £75!

However, when I asked a work colleague of mine who used to live in Thailand she suggested that tours are a lot cheaper if we buy them when we are in chang mai and that this one seems to look at too many tribes and we would be bored....

I am now really confused.
    Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Aimee

#1 Posted: 11/7/2008 - 22:04

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Tours are definitely cheaper in Chiang Mai.

Exacto's CM trip report sums the place up well.

#2 Posted: 12/7/2008 - 06:38

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

Received a tip before a holiday I took in SE Asia, Don't book ANYTHING but your flight in Australia. Saved me squillions. My fortnight in Koh Chang ended up costing about $200AU and that included accommodation, food, ferry, bus from Bangkok. I also took a week long trip to Komodo which was $110USD all inclusive. Watch out for some of the travel agencies and guesthouses in Khao San Rd in Bangkok which sometimes offer the world and then don't deliver.
    Most trips and accommodation you can sort out yourself which makes the whole cost much less.

#3 Posted: 2/8/2008 - 16:27

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

Forgot to add, don't fall victim to the gam scam. Generally if you find a well dressed university student around a wat who engages you in conversation you can be pretty sure they are about to try this one on you. Be polite at first, after all it may just be someone who is being friendly, but as soon as the conversation is steered to any mention of gems, even if he doesn't directly suggest you buy them, walk away.

#4 Posted: 2/8/2008 - 16:35

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

"We want to see all the sites: e.g. waterfalls, tribes, temples, elephant rides, river cruise, golden triangle, and markets..."

Chiang Mai isn't half as good as it gets made out in tourist brochures.

The night market is terrible. The Sunday walking market is the best one. Waterfalls in Thailand are generally disappointing. One of the best ones is Erawan west of Kanchaburi, west of Bangkok

The golden triangle is just a tourist trap.

The best cave in northern Thailand is Tham Lot near Soppong on the way to Mae Hong Son. I suggest you book a tour that does Tham Lot and MHS.

accomo, tours, etc are all cheaper in thailand, being a cheaper country. just book your flight and first 2 nights accomo to settle in. Everything else book over there.

"Forgot to add, don't fall victim to the gam scam"

What a gam?

If you mean gem, you would have to be thick to fall for that one.

#5 Posted: 6/8/2008 - 09:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.