Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Transportation Issues & Diving bookings

• Py

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2008

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out the next few things:

- how to get from Chiang Mai to the Mae Sa valley? Is this only possible through organised tours or via own motorcycle/car? Or is there a public bus, if so, any idea where I can get my hands on practical info about that mean of public transportation?
    - how to get from Khao Sok National Park to Ao Krabig? Is it so that the only way to do this is to catch a minibus to Krabi city and from there on head to Ao Krabig?
    - Also, we've quite got an itinerary ahead of us and we were wondering if it is possible to book an open water diving course (4 days) upon arrival in Koh Tao, which already starts the day after. Or would it be better to book a course electronically beforehand?

Thanks for the info!

Greetings,

Py

#1 Posted: 18/7/2008 - 04:18

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Plenty of buses go past the mainroad bus-stop which is about 1km from the bungalows at Khao Sok. You head towards Phuket and change at a bus station somewher along the way for a Krabi bus.
    But this route is > shaped, whereas the high season minibuses take a direct route across good mountain roads to Krabi - much shorter. They also pick up from various bungalows.
    Of course, you could do this trip for greater expense in a car+driver.

Ao Krabig has me beat. Don't know it. The main Krabi area beaches are Ao Nang, Ton Sai, East Railay, West Railay, Phra Nang, Hat Noppharet Thara and Tubtaak (Klong Muang)
    All are reaches by songthaew (pickup truck bus) out of Krabi town. You need a further longtail boat ride to the Railays and Phra Nang.

I'm not a diver, but my experience of Tao is there are so many diving outfits that you should be able to line something up when you get there no problems.
    But if you know exactly which day you will arrive, why not line it up before?

#2 Posted: 18/7/2008 - 06:05

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Meant to add that the bus driver out of Khao Sok will tell you where to change buses for Krabi.

#3 Posted: 18/7/2008 - 06:10

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Py just a word on the diving there will be plenty of dive shops on Koh Tao to do your course but I tend to use 5star IDC scuba centres as these are the highest standard from PADI and will probably have the best gear instructors etc.

#4 Posted: 18/7/2008 - 06:19

• sunshine87

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2008

how much roughly are the open water padi courses does anyone know? Or a three day dive intro something like that? trying to plan my budget for Ko Tao. Thanks!

#5 Posted: 18/7/2008 - 14:08

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Sunshine, just google Koh Tao scuba diving and you will have a heap of choices of dive shops to choose from.Their website links will have all relevant prices for various courses. Having said that dive shops come and go some are better than others. One option you can try is a DSD ( discover scuba diving )day.This can give you a day in the water with instructors to see if scuba is for you as it's not for everyone and can save paying for a whole course if it's not for you. While diving on the west coast of Thailand I heard good reports about Black Tip diving resort on Koh Tao
    Regards

#6 Posted: 19/7/2008 - 07:49

• towerflower

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2008

About Diving -

I just booked with Big Blue, they seemed like the most pro and most fun shop there. Check out their webiste (bigbluediving.com) and watch some of the video. They're really responsive via email and I've seen other good reviews of them. I'm doing PADI openwater, it's 9800 baht anywhere on the island - they have an informal agreement among the dive shops not to undercut each other - but I think that's still a fair price. If you want to haggle, haggle on the accomodations. Most places offer discounts on rooms if you dive with them.

#7 Posted: 22/7/2008 - 01:51

• Py

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2008

Great,

Thanks for the information. I guess I could just book in advance. On the other hand, a DSD might not be a bad idea. I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Sunshine, I read in the lonely planet that the open water courses are roughly 9000-10 000 Baht. But like swag says, you can find more detailed info online.

Cheers!

#8 Posted: 22/7/2008 - 02:07

• marrie77

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2011

Transportation to and from the diving site . Dead Sea divers will only issue a Dive Vouchers upon reception of full payment .Our booking team in "Dead Sea divers" will check if your qualifications meet our minimum requirements and send .For divers peak season is from July - November when whale sharks can be It's not possible to buy a one way ticket without proof of transportation from the islands.
    Orlando Pool Distribution

#9 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 04:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.