Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Dengue fever

• cmz11

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008

IS there any real great risk of contracting dengue fever in Thailand or is it very rare? I saw a few articles on the internet saying that there were a decent amount of cases this year but know that most articles just get you overly worried. If so where are areas that precautions need to be taken in and should I be very concerned about this or just travel normally?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 1/8/2008 - 09:56

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Millions of tourists go to Thailand each year and don't catch Dengue so the answer to your question "should I be very concerned about this?" is no.

This said, there have been reports that the number of dengue cases is higher than usual this year. Dengue is more common during the rainy season and in urban areas but I know people who have caught it on the islands too, mostly expats.

The more often you get bitten the higher the likelihood of catching the disease so your best best is to use mozzie repellents containing DEET. The species of mosquito which carries dengue feeds during the day and ALL mosquito species seem to be particularly voracious around dusk and dawn!

#2 Posted: 1/8/2008 - 12:50

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

SBE is right. The species that carries the virus is a day-biter and is most active 1-2 hours after sunrise, and for a few hours before sunset. I find that these are the little bastards that attack your legs beneath tables. If there's a bright side to this, Aedes albopictus is not a very good vector of the virus.

Regardless, Dengue is endemic in most Asian countries and it's never a bad idea to do what one can to avoid being bitten.

And for what it's worth, a good friend from Germany acquired the disease while in Laos and suffered with it for a very long time. Years, in fact. He now has immunity from that particular serotype, but there are several serotypes.

#3 Posted: 1/8/2008 - 20:17

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Four serotypes to be precise. I'm not sure why but getting Dengue a second time is worse apparently.

#4 Posted: 1/8/2008 - 20:44

• cmz11

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008

Ok thanks for your information. So pretty much as long as I use repellent with DEET and cover up I should be fine. Are there however any areas particularly notorious to catch this in?

#5 Posted: 2/8/2008 - 00:53

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Bangkok has the highest number of cases. There was an article about it yesterday in the Nation.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/08/01/national/national_30079476.php

So happens I've been doing a bit of amateur research on Dengue today. Found two interesting findings which I've never seen mentioned before:

1. Seems my assumption that more mozzies=higher risk might be wrong. Very counter-intuitive results found in this study.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-07/plos-ssp070908.php

2. People with the AB blood group are more likely to get the severe form of Dengue if they catch it a second time.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/512244

#6 Posted: 2/8/2008 - 06:42

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS. Not sure how the community volunteers managed to count the mosquitoes scientifically in #1!

#7 Posted: 2/8/2008 - 07:09

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008

One of the best ways to keep of fever carried by mozzies is keep off the mozzies. Make sure you have a mozzie net when in guesthouses where there could be a mozzie problem. Use that net properly by draping it over the entire bed. Use a repellant with DEET. Wear loose fitting clothing that covers you completely, like a pair of fishermans pants. These can be purchased cheaply at a market in Thailand. Fishermans pants are parachute pants.

#8 Posted: 2/8/2008 - 16:43

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"One of the best ways to keep of fever carried by mozzies is keep off the mozzies"

Actually it's the ONLY way to avoid Dengue at the moment. There is no preventative medication and there's no specific treatment available yet either....well actually there is, but since last year the WHO and CDC have severely restricted sales of a very useful and safe drug for reasons best known to themselves (and big US pharmaceutical companies perhaps).

The drug in question comes from a herb that has been used by the Chinese to treat Malaria for over 2000 years. Studies have shown it's also effective against Dengue. It grows like a weed and impoverished people from Africa etc could grow their own cures if the powers that be would let them.

But as it's the most promising anti malarial we have at the moment, and there's no US patent (yet) millions of people will die ... Even when the pills become available the people who need them most won't be able to afford to buy them.

Rant over.

#9 Posted: 3/8/2008 - 01:52

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Avoidance is the only thing to do. Dress in light long sleeved/legged clothing at appropriate times, clear the room with coils or spray, use a DEET rellent.

Read this......

Dengue - Thailand – 2008 - http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=78586

THAILAND: Dengue fever "crisis" looms

The 'Aedes aegypti' mosquito which is the carrier of dengue fever
    BANGKOK, 5 June 2008 (IRIN) - Rising temperatures, longer rainy seasons and increased urbanisation are leading to an explosion of dengue fever cases in Thailand in what health officials are calling a near-crisis situation.

#10 Posted: 4/8/2008 - 10:49

• Advertisement

• bear64

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2007

i actually got dengue fever 20 years ago in thailand (on koh samui) so it does happen to farangs. that said i've been back about 20 times since and never got it again so its not worth getting overly worried about it. i've never been a favourite of the mossies (too hairy perhaps) so it wasn't like i got savaged or anything. got bit by a scorpion last time too. going there next week so maybe i'll try for snake bite and claim a hat trick!

#11 Posted: 5/8/2008 - 19:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
I'm down with dengue fever, so... ... By somtam2000 on 16 Sep 2010 8 2953 4 Dec 2010
Malaria/Dengue Fever? ... By ChrisM48 on 11 Jan 2009 5 4439 11 Feb 2009
Dengue Fever outbreak ... By sassafrass on 9 Jun 2013 34 2790 13 Jun 2013
Tested for Dengue Fever - Bollocks ... By PeterJW on 9 Apr 2012 13 6457 9 Sep 2012
Confuse Dengue Fever for Malaria? ... By tatham on 25 May 2010 9 5007 6 Jun 2010
What is the word on Dengue Fever? Prevention? Treatment? ... By exacto on 9 Jan 2014 3 535 28 Mar 2014
High incidence of Typhoid and Dengue Fever at the moment ... By busylizzy on 6 May 2013 1 1778 7 May 2013