Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

5/6 Days in Phuket and Ko Phi Phi

• wanderingdr-
    eamer

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2008

Hi

I am spending 5/6 days in the Phuket region on a stopover to Laos and am wondering how I should plan my time. I would like to spend a few days on Ko Phi Phi (I know its touristy but I just have to do it!!!) and a few days on a less touristy beach in Phuket which is close to some decent snorkelling (if that's possible).

I would like to spend my time kayaking, snorkelling, walking and lying on the beach. Does anyone have any good suggestions for places I can go to independently or as part of a day tour? What are the unmissable sights of the Phuket region?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some much needed insight!

#1 Posted: 2/8/2008 - 18:10

• Advertisement

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

There's not really anything which is an Eiffel Tower-like "unmissable" in Phuket province but everywhere has something to recommend it. You know Ko Phi Phi for the snorkelling, Kata is one of the best beaches for waves and others such as Kamala are perfect for lazy days. Select 'Thailand' and then 'Phuket Town' on this website and a list of available beaches is on the right of the page.

#2 Posted: 2/8/2008 - 20:58

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Phuket is not noted as a great island for snorkelling off the beach. Nai Yang in the north ner the airport has a nearby reef which is supposed to be the best around Phuket - and it certainly is a more laid back area.
    Kata Yai and Noi are the nicest of the more popular Phuket beaches and the snorkelling along their headlands in dry season keeps plenty of people occupied.
    I saw quite a few snorkellers checking the fringing reef abt 70m off Cape Panwa Hotel's nice, laid back beach. You do not have to be a hotel guest - just walk thru the hotel and take the "cable train" down towards the beach.

The nicest non-isolated beach on Phi Phi is Long Beach which has pretty good snorkelling off the sand. The laid back east coast is even better, although it is a fair haul into town. Check TRAVELFISH's reports and bungalow reviews for some good spots. I have a fair bit of info and pix in the first link below too.

You can kayak around Phi Phi, but real good kayaking trips around the super spectacular Phang Nga Bay are available out of Phuket and nearby Ko Yao Noi, besides Phang Nga town itself. If TRAVELFISH doesn't have any links, Google should find some.

#3 Posted: 3/8/2008 - 17:35

• wanderingdr-
    eamer

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2008

Hey Tezza and Mic59

Thanks for your advice. Tezza, your web-link and Jamie's are really helpful.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 07:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.