Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Has anyone got married on a beach in Thailand?

• fifimay

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2008

Can anyone give any advice for getting married in Thailand? We want something very, very simple - basically just the 2 of us on a beach (preferably Koh Phi Phi) getting married in a non-religious Western Style, but all we can find are hotels/resorts offering wedding packages for the bride & groom plus guests (we'll have none!).

Is there anyone out there who has done it the way I have described & how easy/hard was this to achieve?

Thanks for your help :)

#1 Posted: 5/8/2008 - 04:54

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Not sure about on a beach but the 2 of you could get married in Bangkok in 'Bang Rak' at the registery office. My wife and I did and it was very nice. We swapped our rings in MK restuarant aswell and it was quite a tearfull moment.

But im sure its the beach you are after.

#2 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 22:21

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Jon_Mak_Mak -- Sam and I registered our marriage at Bang Rak too -- I loved the heart-shaped wall hanging for the photo op.

To the OP (sorry I missed your post earlier). There's two steps to the marriage process (or there was for us anyway). We went to the registry (at Bang Rak) and signed on the dotted line and that was it -- as far as Thailand was concerned, we were married. We then had to get a bunch of paperwork translated etc to register the marriage in our home country (we're both Australian) -- so what exactly you'll need to do in that regard will depend on your nationality -- I'd suggest contacting the relevant embassy.

As far as the actual ceremony was concerned, because it's "just the party" ie you're already married through the actions at the registry) you can do what you want. We had an old friend read some lines and "marry us" at a fave restaurant in Bangkok that we hired out, but we had been married two days earlier at the registry.

Most of the beach stuff you'll find online while be the whole shebang -- hence the high cost... I'm not sure how you'd go about getting someone to marry you on the beach is there's just the two of you travelling -- again I'd ask the embassy for advice.

I've been to two weddings on Ko Mun Nork where the parties hired out the entire island (as you do) and while you don't need that, it does have a very special little strip of sand that is almost designed to get married on...

As far as Phi Phi is concerned, perhaps contact Pon at Ao Toh Ko bungalows -- it's a remote, very beautiful location that has a good traveller vibe -- and she'd probably be able to assist...

Hope that helps

#3 Posted: 27/8/2008 - 06:23

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Yeah Somtam, that red heart at the end on the wall. Quite cheesy but a nice thought. lol :)

As for the paper work, (I had forgot about that) we got all our paperwork (marrige certificate etc..) translated and then legilised IN BKK. We also had to get it legilised (or certified) here in the UK aswell for the purpose of my wifes visa.

If you have a traditional Thai (buddhist) wedding without registering its not legal (in thailand or any country) so make sure you get certificates and its translated and legalised too.

Congratulations and good luck! :)

#4 Posted: 28/8/2008 - 16:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
getting married in thailand! ... By noammaeir on 14 Feb 2011 5 1840 17 Feb 2011