Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Opinions of places to stay on Ko Maak

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

I'll be travelling, with 3 others, to Ko Maak in Jan '09 for 7 nights and were trying to decide between the resorts there.

Read reviews here and now want opinions of anykind.

We'd like to spend no more than $60/B2000/night.
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 5/8/2008 - 07:52

• Advertisement

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

Try this site :
    www.monkeyislandkohmak.com/monkeyisland/story.html

You can get good beachfront accomodation for 500B here but if you want to pay a bit more you can get some slightly more exclusive accomodation. There is also Island Time if you want to laze around. Serge at Tratosphere books in Trat can help with info and bookings.

#2 Posted: 5/8/2008 - 18:06

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

Thanks Backpacker,
    Have you been there before/recently.
    If so, did you travel from BKK and Laem Ngop?

#3 Posted: 5/8/2008 - 22:12

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi we stayed at Koh Mak resort March 07. Found it to be very good. Paid about 1500Baht then for a/c etc but I think prices have gone up. You can read my review of the place in the accomodation section of Koh Mak
    Regards
    Swag

#4 Posted: 6/8/2008 - 06:05

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

Thanks Swag,
    Were in debate now between Baan Koh Maak, Baan Chai Lay and Lazy Days.
    They all seem comparable.

Any other opinions would be put to good use...

#5 Posted: 6/8/2008 - 06:28

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi there. Lazy Days is now a thing of the dim and distant past. For me, a very frequent visitor to the island since 1992, it was the best, yet worst run place on the island. It's the only place I stayed in while there.

I haven't been to the island since 2005, but reports indicate that it has been replaced by a collection of white concrete huts with a/c, and that they are supposed to be quite nice (and expensive ... compared to Lazy Days.) I could monologue for some time on the place, but I'll spare you.

Yes, go there from Laem Ngop. Trat is a nice spot for at least one night if you can spare the time either on the way or back. The night market is fantastic, and the seafood is superb, especially the fried mussels (hoi tod.) The town is pleasant, small, quiet and laid back.

You can get to Laem Ngop by songthaew from Trat, or you can go there from the relatively new bus station. Can't remember the cost of the boat trip, but it leaves from the pier at around 3:00 and arrives at sunset at around 5:30. The boat trip is excellent! Enjoy.

#6 Posted: 6/8/2008 - 07:46

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

And unless things have changed, there's only one boat per day. The island can be reached from Bangkok in one day without having to leave at the crack of dawn. You can take the bus from the Eastern Bus Terminal (Ekemai) at 8:00 am and be at the pier in plenty of time to make the boat.

It's possible that there's a speed boat now, and that there are more departures, and if there are I'm unaware of them.

#7 Posted: 6/8/2008 - 07:50

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

Wow Tilapia,
    Thank you for the great report on your experience, really appreciate that.
    Appreciate your candidness on Lazy Days...Doubt we'll stay there but we'll look into it and try to give a report/review on return.

Thinking on the Trat visit, sounds great.

I thought of possibly trying to depart by speedboat from Laem Sok(South of Trat). Found a mention in Rough Guide but Laem Ngop seems to be THE way.

We'll prob. bu it from BKK, want the overland experience and exposure.
    Thanks again!

#8 Posted: 7/8/2008 - 02:11

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

Lostinthai, most people on LP prefer Kood to Maak. Better beaches and clearer water at Kood.

#9 Posted: 7/8/2008 - 07:48

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Lost in Thai,

Lazy Days doesn't exist anymore. WIth the change of ownership also came a change in name. I don't know what it's called now, but there's a write-up on the place on this site. It's a really nice part of the island, that's for sure. It's close to the temple, the school, and a couple of nice little eating spots run by the Islanders. My favourite spot is run by a lovely lady named Sa. If you go to her one day and ask if she'll make you "haw-mok" you can have it the next day for dinner. This is usually made from chunks of white fish that are steamed in banana leaf cups with coconut cream, fish sauce, a bit of tapioca starch, shredded lime leaves, and sometimes a sprinkle of curry powder or thinly sliced red chilies. Her cooking ROCKS!!! She has a couple of daughters on the island who are married to people who own a couple other resorts, and their cooking is almost as good.

If you aren't in a hurry, avoid the speed boat. The trip out there should, in my opinion, be savoured and appreciated and totally soaked up, especially at that time of the day. It is, afterall, the beginning of your chilltime, so why hurry? Difficult to do that on a speed boat that is rifling over the waves at 80 km/hr.

If there's one drawback to Mak that people keep mentioning, it is sand fleas. These things never bothered me in the least, but the seem to bother some folks.

If you stay in Trat for a night, go to the market before you head for the pier and buy a couple of cheap hammocks just in case your bungalow doesn't have any. They are cheap, pack small, are light, and they come in very handy all over the place, including at home.

As for Trat, the Trat Guest House is a nice spot. The owner is a native Tratter and a super nice dude. He knows the area like the back of his hand, and has a lot of contacts all over the place. I used to stay at a place called Windy (owned by the folks who own Kai Bae on Koh Chang) until the city built a boardwalk along the canal immediately in front of the two best rooms in town. There are a few nice little guest houses in Trat, and you can't really go wrong with any of them. You won't be in your room much, anyway.

Like I said before, it's worth staying just for the night market. During the daytime it is a fresh fruit/veggie/meat market. At night the booths are cleared away and it's food city! Music is piped in, and entire families come out to eat. Kids are in their pajamas, ready for bed, and people linger over their meals. It's cheap and amazing.

Hope that hasn't changed.

(You can probably tell that I'm a bit of a Trat-o-phile.)

Happy trails, wherever they lead you.

#10 Posted: 7/8/2008 - 07:58

• Advertisement

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

travelrock,
    Thanks for that note...We'll look at Kood also. Any suggestions on places to stay?

#11 Posted: 8/8/2008 - 02:09

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

Tilapia,
    You've come through once again! Your info is just the type of thing we hope for.
    Especially the food and the idea of taking our time. Haw Mok sounds incredible!

"My favourite spot is run by a lovely lady named Sa."
    Any general idea on finding Sa, I suppose we should just ask around?

We will try to work in a night in Trat now, definitely.
    Thanks again

#12 Posted: 8/8/2008 - 02:17

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sa's house and restaurant can be found next to the school There's only one school on the island. If you are standing in front of the school looking at it, her place will be on the left.

She's a very slim and slight lady with a brilliant smile, and she usually wears her hair up. I know that I just described about 75% of Thai women, but you should be able to figure out who she is (who's in charge) should you go there.

Happy eating!!!

Cheers

p.s. "You've come through once again!" Not at all. This is the purpose of this site. Besides, when I can't be there, the next best thing for me is to write about the place.

#13 Posted: 8/8/2008 - 03:27

• kohmaakisla-
    nd

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2008

Sa's house is gone and a new one will be build. She has a temporary restaurant,second restaurant to the left of the school, close to the intersection and the tree in the middle.
    She raelly cooks great and speaking of it, will be going now to eat there.
    Cheers

#14 Posted: 17/9/2008 - 11:08

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I stayed on Mak for the second time last January. Lazy Days is now called Lazy Day. New rooms and restaurant look real nice, but they still have some trad huts at reasonable prices behind on the hillside.
    Next door is Ao Kao - this was a pretty nice place when I stayed in '98, looked even nicer in January. Great position.
    I stayed this trip in a place called Sunset, good but more an elcheapo backpacker place and not right on the beach.
    I have a fair bit more on these places and Mak in general including pix and some sublinks in the link below.
    BTW there are several boats per day to Mak in high season.

#15 Posted: 17/9/2008 - 17:56

• lauraandmark

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2008

Hi,

Going to be in koh chang in january and want to head to ko maak for a few days... will accomodation be a problem being peak season - on a budget so dont really want to spend any more than 1200thb on accomodation per day?? not expecting anything more than basic places but is this possible? what are food and drink prices like?
    Thanks Mark

#16 Posted: 17/9/2008 - 21:44

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

There are quite a few places within your budget - TAVELFISH'S Mak section lists them and latest prices and booking facilities plus a lot of other good info can be found here http://www.kohmak.com/?section_id=home&language=en

I visited very late in Jan and found no problem with vacancies - the island was quite uncrowded. It is sure to have more people around Xmas New Year, but I doubt it will be crowded out.
    I found food, booze prices pretty much budget normal.
    Actually, from memory Sunset where I stayed was a bit lower than normal budget.

#17 Posted: 18/9/2008 - 18:20

• lauraandmark

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2008

thanks tezza thats put my mind at rest.

#18 Posted: 18/9/2008 - 20:53

• timobrandt

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2011

Koh Maak, what resort can you recommend ? I will travel to Thailand, Koh Chang and Koh Maak next month. The first time with my family. Are there any resorts you can reccomend for families ?

#19 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 02:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.