Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

3 weeks to see it all, help

• hjamorrice

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2008

Hi, i'm planning on going backpacking around thailand on boxing day with some friends for around 3 weeks.
    Really want to see a few Islands, Bangkok, Phuket, Ko Phi Phi, Krabi, Koh Samui etc etc, then possibly on from there to northern thailand.
    Coming from NZ I really can only get into Bangkok which obviously is on my list, and an planning on getting to Koh Phanagan by the 10th. Whats worth seeing from Bangkok down towards Koh Phangan that I can see along the way?
    Or simpler, is there any better routes than what I've thought of, starting in Bangkok, heading south to both east and west coasts and then back up north?
    Thanks for your help guys!

#1 Posted: 11/8/2008 - 12:48

• Advertisement

• hjamorrice

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2008

And forgot to mention, want to be somewhere relatively interesting on the 31st!

#2 Posted: 11/8/2008 - 13:10

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

see it all? you r seeing 5% and the more touristy ones.

read this site for ideas.

#3 Posted: 11/8/2008 - 21:56

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Three weeks is not much time to do all of that without every day being a mad dash from Point A to Point B. You may want to zero in on the things you're most interested in seeing and then scratch a couple of spots from your itinerary. Personally, I'd scratch Phuket and Samui, especially if you plan to visit Phi Phi and Phangan. Krabi you'll pass through on the way to Phi Phi and it's unlikely that you'll stay there for more than a few hours.

Keep in mind that you're going to be arriving during what is likely the busiest time of the year over there and trains both north and south will be packed. Trains get totally booked-up. If you don't reserve your train tickets in advance, you'd be wise to stick to the buses that operate out of the Northern and Southern Bus Terminals. You can always get a seat on those buses, and they leave for most destinations about every hour. I'd avoid the VIP buses advertised around Khao San Road.

There's plenty to see between Bangkok and Surat Thani/Krabi, but it depends on what you're interested in. I really like Khao Sam Roi Yot, Khao Sok, and the areas along the coast just southwest of Bangkok, as well as Sangkhlaburi and the countryside around Kanchanaburi. If you're into beach parties and things like that, then you might want to avoid these places.

When you're working out your schedule, keep this in mind ... Bangkok to the north will take one full day of travel time. Bangkok south to ST or Krabi will take another full day of travel time. If you don't do these trips as overnight trips or by airplane, that is two full days of your three weeks on the road. You'll probably spend a few days in Bangkok on arrival, and then another one or two just before going back. That's almost a full week.

What I'm saying is that you may find your trip too rushed if you try and fit too much into your three weeks. You may find it more enjoyable to choose an area and take your time seeing it. For example, you may want to head south and split your time between the two island areas ... that will take at least one week per side.

Or, come with one destination in mind and get there, then play the rest by ear. You'll be amazed at what you find out by talking to other people while you're there. Schedules often get tossed somewhat joyously to the four winds.

Good luck.
    Mike

#4 Posted: 11/8/2008 - 22:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The suggested itinerary section could be a good starting point.

#5 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 07:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.