Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Reccom. for Visiting Phayao

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

Hey all,
    I have a Thai language teacher who has invited us to visit Phayao. Thinking about adding this to our 2 week Thailand itinerary in Jan-Feb '09.
    Anyone have any recent experiences to share: places to stay, things to see, info. about travelling there without a car?
    Thanks...

#1 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 00:39

• Advertisement

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

phayao is cool. surrounds a lake. cheap places r bad, so go midrange. temples on the mtn nearby r very good.

real thai town, not fake like chiang mai

#2 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 00:43

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008

read my tharn thong review.

#3 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 00:46

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's a very nice place that sees very few foreigners. And if you've been invited by your teacher, you will honour them by accepting and will, therefore, get the royal treatment. If this is the case, you will have an experience that will likely be the high point of your trip, and that you will never forget.

Easy to get there without a vehicle. Where will you be coming from?

Are you still going to Koh Mak?

Regards,
    Mike

#4 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 02:19

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Phayao in 2005:
    http://thewanderingstraycat.blogspot.com/search/label/phayao%202005

#5 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 04:07

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

travelrock,
    Thanks...Haan't had a chance to read your tharn thong review yet but I'll check it out. May have more ?? later.
    Thanks again!

#6 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 07:33

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

Hey again Tilapia,
    Yes, Were very excited at this potential opportunity.
    Our teacher is really great!

Since, Yes, we are still planning on Koh Mak we'd probably be coming from either Trat or BKK.
    Thinking of maybe flying into Chang Mai then Bus????
    Ideas/opinions?

BTW- We almost had decided to go to Ko Kood insy=tead of Koh Mak. Looks incredibly beautiful but a little too touristed for us. Much more expensive also.
    Thanks

wanderingcat,
    I'll check out your post tonight.
    Thanks!

#7 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 07:41

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That would certainly save you time. If you flew to Chiangrai you might save even more time. I don't know how long it would take to get to Phayao from CM, but you have to go through some very hilly areas. I think that CR is closer and you would go south via a fairly direct route. You may want to ask at a travel agency to find out which would be fastest.

An overnight bus from Morchit Bus Terminal would probably cost you around 100 baht, and take about 8 hours.

Koh Kut caters mostly to wealthy Thai tourists, though a good friend went there several years ago and found a nice spot that wasn't too expensive and absolutely loved the spot. This is the same guy who I went with to Koh Mak many years ago (we were actually trying to get to Koh Kut at a time when there was only one or two boats going there each week from the canal in downtown Trat ... we never made it because of high winds on the Gulf), so I trust his opinion. I can ask where he went and will get back to you if you like.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 09:24

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008

yes rai to phayao is 1 hr by road. there's also a good white wat south of rai worth looking at. even the toilet looks like a temple.

mai to phayao is scenic but bad road, takes more like 3 hours.

kood caters to thais. many mid range resorts but people tell me there's several cheaper options there now and the beaches are much better than maak.

plus kood is bigger so better for exploring.

the phayao northern lake hotel might be a good cheap option but i didnt see it. certainly better than tharn thong.

#9 Posted: 12/8/2008 - 10:10

• lostinthai

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

Tilapia and Travelrock

We'll look into flight to CR then bus.

I'd appreciate any ideas you may have for Ko Kood accom. ($60/B2000 or less), of course, any contact would be great also...
    I tried 2 reccom. travel agencies on Ko Chang for info on Kood but their reccomm. were out of our $ range.Thanks again.

#10 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 00:17

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Northeast of north Thailand (Phrae-Nan-Phayao-Chiang Rai): worth visiting? ... By koen31 on 28 Dec 2007 11 7933 11 Jan 2008